Purolator Classic L22500 4K miles (Cut Open)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purolator Classic bought from Wally World on close out late last year. Date coded 2016 manufacture. Ran for 4K miles with Havoline 5W-30 in my Ford F150 3.5L Ti-VCT. Media was strong with no tears and ADBV was still supple and pliable.

Subconsciously, I was hoping to see some tears as I have about 11ea of these remaining and wanted to feel better about getting rid of them.

l22500-(1).jpg

l22500-(3).jpg

l22500-(4).jpg

l22500-(5).jpg

That does look very good. What type of Havoline did you run?? The conventional or synthetic?

Ohh and the 14610s and 14459s plus 3 others I can't recall off the top of my head were the worst offenders at tearing I believe.

Last edited:
Looks good ... Wish they all had kept on looking like this because they really were excellent, low-cost filters ... 97.5% efficiency at 20 microns with a cost under $4.

Thank you for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That does look very good. What type of Havoline did you run?? The conventional or synthetic?

Ohh and the 14610s and 14459s plus 3 others I can't recall off the top of my head were the worst offenders at tearing I believe.

It was Havoline Conventional from a last Christmas AutoZone clearance.

As to offenders, I have yet to see a Purolator L22500 tear reported. Closest and what had me worried somewhat was one report recently of a similar and made by Purolator, a Motorcraft FL-500S that had tears. This one though, the media was pretty sturdy and I tried with a little persuasion to see if it would easily tear and it would not.

My replacement was a DENSO filter but I may give one of the other L22500's I have, another whirl on the next oil change.

Yeah man I didn't think that your filter was one that had any trouble at all. You got the AZ close out was cool. I saw the Havoline DS for $10 five qt container. Had to restrain from getting it. The Denso filters are really strong in how they are constructed.

That looks a lot better than an unused L14477 I took apart a few days ago. 2015 build code and it had the wide spacing on each side of the seem where most of the tears are.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Onug
Did you get a good look at the louvers? Maybe take an knife to the media to get a full view of the center core.

Louvers looked fine with ample spacing for flow. It is in the trash and I am not gonna dig it out to cut for pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back