NAPA Platinum 47202 15,500 mi Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first time cutting an oil filter for pictures. I used a chisel and hammer just below the base plate. Forgot to take pics of the coil spring, but it is identical to the Napa Gold spring. Used for 15,592 miles on my 2006 GMC Duramax. Didn't notice anything abnormal. M1 TDT was sent to ALS for UOA.

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

Was it as interesting as you had expected cutting apart a filter?

They are pretty boring. Now if you had put in Auto-Rx to clean a sludge monster it would be a different story.

You can find almost any filter cut open on BITOG already, so no need to cut one open just to see the construction.

An excellent made filter by Wix despite the efficiency numbers. Really like how you used it for 15K+
thumbsup2.gif

What is that white dust on the media or is it glare from the light? It's the third picture from the top.

Thank you for the C&P.

Donald it is good that people are cutting the filters EVEN if there were cut down before. How else would anyone found out about the issues some manufacturers started having if not for people cutting them open continuously over time?? This is a good thing to do in order to keep an eye on what could start going wrong with a filter lineup. Or what has started going right as well.

Good job OP with your cut and post here. Looks very good.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Donald it is good that people are cutting the filters EVEN if there were cut down before. How else would anyone found out about the issues some manufacturers started having if not for people cutting them open continuously over time?? This is a good thing to do in order to keep an eye on what could start going wrong with a filter lineup. Or what has started going right as well.

Good job OP with your cut and post here. Looks very good.

My guess is BITOG members finding tears in Purolator filters never made it to Purolator to become aware of. It's more likely that Purolator QA found it themselves.

Now if you want to start sending filters to Polaris for a filter analysis, that's a different story.

I hate to say it Donald but if Purolator QA found the problem then they have not rectified it just yet in some of their filters sizes. So, it continues on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

My guess is BITOG members finding tears in Purolator filters never made it to Purolator to become aware of. It's more likely that Purolator doesn't care as long as they keep selling filters.

Fixed it for you. LOL.

They are pretty boring. Now if you had put in Auto-Rx to clean a sludge monster it would be a different story.

You can find almost any filter cut open on BITOG already, so no need to cut one open just to see the construction.

Why not?
It lets you take a look at what is going on int the engine. If the filter is working, you will not really see anything in the draining oil, cutting the filter open can let you know if there could be a problem (like this filter I cut open).

Plus it is interesting to see what is inside. Heck, I grabbed 4 filters from the Advance Auto filter disposal just to take a look.

Just because you don't find it interesting does not mean others do not. Apparently you found it interesitng enough to open the thread, post you comment, then post another comment.

DNVDMAX, thanks for the C&P. For 15,000 miles on a diesel filter it really looks good.

Since what little filter information that is available is derived from mild laboratory testing, I think that BITOG filter cutting is helping us know how these filters are performing in the real life of cold starts, high viscosity pressure surges and extended change intervals. That is a good looking filter for a diesel engine in Alaska. Thanks for posting.

My guess is BITOG members finding tears in Purolator filters never made it to Purolator to become aware of. It's more likely that Purolator QA found it themselves.

Plenty of BITOG members contacted Purolator about their tearing issue. A few members here even had emails going back and forth with them and posted the email text here for others to see. Basically Purolator dodged the issue and said they couldn't find a problem. Apparently they still haven't figured it out even with the revamping of their oil filter line. Crazy way to run a business.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Plenty of BITOG members contacted Purolator about their tearing issue. A few members here even had emails going back and forth with them and posted the email text here for others to see. Basically Purolator dodged the issue and said they couldn't find a problem. Apparently they still haven't figured it out even with the revamping of their oil filter line. Crazy way to run a business.

Ford Motorcraft ignored my report of the torn FL-820S. If they have a substantive improvement, I might get excited and try a few with cut & posts. It would be good to know what was changed and when.

Donald, It was a pretty boring process but could have been interesting if I found evidence of a failed filter and or metallic debris indicating a problem on the horizon. This is my wife's daily and she is a very spirited driver.

Originally Posted By: knnaz392

What is that white dust on the media or is it glare from the light?

Glare on the fibers.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

What did you replace it with?

I replaced it with another NAPA platinum filter. I picked up 3 on sale for $9/ea over a year ago.

Appreciate any and all feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back