Canadian Machined Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been driving my wife's Scion xB for the past week while she is traveling.

Car has about 55k on it, front brakes work but are not very grippy and have some fade.

I suspect it has the OEM brake linings on it, or someone put some cheapo organic pads on there before we bought it.

Have not taken it apart yet or looked at it.

Started taking a look at parts. I have pretty much determined that with brakes, you don't always get what you pay for.

I have bought gold line brakes from Advance, and other local parts vendors and had them been junk.

So I started looking around on ebay and rockauto, and rotors/pads for this vehicle are dirt cheap.

I was considering having the OEM rotors machined, then replacing the pads with a premium pad, but now I think it may make sense to just replace the rotors and pads.

There seem to be a ton of vendors based in Southern Ontario who are selling brakes on ebay.

I can't figure out what they are doing, or how they are making money, but they are selling tons of brakes.
link

Anyone have any experience with these canadian companies?

Just because they are a Canadian company, doesn't mean they are selling Canadian made or machined parts. At those prices, you are getting made in China or India parts. Not necessarily a bad thing as most aftermarket rotors are Chinese these days.

Just use the 35-40% off coupon codes at Advance Auto and get the Platinum pads and new rotors. If the parts are wrong/dont fit, I would much rather have a local store available to swap out then deal with an eBay return.

As mentioned, I dont think there are any companies left in Canada making rotors. Likely the same rotors you can get from Rockauto. China. FWIW, I have had good like with Chinese rotors for the price.

OEM pads and rotors aren't warranted by the mfgr, because they are a normal wear and tear item. That said, use whatever you like as far as pads and rotors go. Paying to recut rotors doesn't make much sense, as you can get new replacement ones for about the same price. Soft pads give off more dust, but are easy on the rotors. Performance pads eat rotors, but stop better.,,,

Probably plenty of options between OEM and bottom of the barrel stuff @ autozone.

I've had good luck with Centric rotors and preloaded calipers from RA;

I can 'rebrake' the entire front of my echo (rotors, pads, calipers) for 4/5's the cost of (1) OEM caliper.

My car is 2100lbs and a 5sp so the demands on the brakes are minimal; I've never worn out pads before the calipers end up needing replacement.

Last edited:
I never needed replacement calipers. But ront pads last 40k on average here, with some needing pads every 10k while others can go 60k. Never seen anyone go beyond that. Rotors usually last or 2 sets of pads.

I'm on 54k and just ordered new pads, to be fitted before the summer trip to Scotland

The problem with brake rotors is the most expensive one can warp just as easily as the cheapest you can get. There's just so many variables at play. I know when my 2013 Grand Caravan needed new rear pads and rotors, dealer Mopar parts were within $5 of Napa parts.

Advics (not Akebono), makes almost all of Toyota's rotors. Advics has a great line of rotors that are identical to the dealer rotors that you can buy from a rockauto or Worldpac. The pricing is within a few % of the dealer part though. All of the rotors made in either Japan or the US.

Toyota's friction is made by Advics, Akebono or NBK. The aftermarket pads from any of those companies will be similar but not identical to the original material.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back