lucas ruined engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't they the neatest thing? If you spin the crank fast enough you could get all the Lucas in the top! What, you worried about oil starvation? Every one knows that after a drop of Lucas gets on a part, it's pretty much lubed for life!
43.gif

They DO make a solid additive for those "hard to lube" engines. It takes one of those cast iron "Salad Shooters" to cut it into chips. Make a large bowl of them and drop them in your oil fill plug. Lucas recommends a long drive to include a few mountains to ensure complete melting.
full-42963-6748-victorio_strainer_model_250_parts_5.gif.jpg

I found a "technical" paper on some popular oil additives. It's focus is on the "4 Ball Test" which may or may not have any parallels in the environment of an engine.
4 Ball

Somewhat off subject, but I had an '85 Civic 1.5l that would smoke like an old locomotive. I used to run Kendall Nitro 70 in it to reduce the smoke and consumption. This was an OHC engine. I used that Nitro 70 for about 3 years before I sold the car. Made a little bit of valve train noise on start up for a few sec, but seemed to run fine from then on out. It even still for very good fuel economy. I don't know if they still make Nitro 70 or how much it is it still available, but it was inexpensive at the time and about the only thing I found which kept the smoking to a minimum
smile.gif

Good times. Good little car. Made many summer road trips with it . Crank windows, no A/C lol. This started back in '97 or '98 and moved me around for 3 fun years.

Looks like it did. A 10W40 could have extended its engine life IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back