STP Extended life cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes sir that looks really good. These filters have all looked very stout so far. Good job on your pictures here and thank you for the work.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Where was that one made? The one for my truck is chinese. I cant bring myself to using one.

They are made in South Korea by Daewha (they also make the Korean-made K&N oil filters, and they are an OE supplier to Hyundai, Kia, and Daewoo)

Looks very good. Are these the same as the Pronto Extended Life? I've been seeing them lately as well.

I've got one on my truck now - nice to see that it is potentially a pretty good filter. I run 6,000-7,000 miles OCI's so I well within that filter's capabilities.

It always amazes me how the Chinese, Koreans etc....can make filters (even cheap ones) with nice even pleats while some domestic made filters (even pricey ones) are wavier than the beach.

PS: I'd use this filter for 10K without a second thought.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Where was that one made? The one for my truck is chinese. I cant bring myself to using one.

They are made in South Korea by Daewha (they also make the Korean-made K&N oil filters, and they are an OE supplier to Hyundai, Kia, and Daewoo)
the one for my truck said china on it.

Based on product info it seems that they are calling the media in this synthetic while the media in the mobil 1 filter is a blended media. Does this mean this is a better filter than the Mobil 1 or am I misinterpreting that?

The STP XL anecdotes posted show it to be a well made filter, this no exception. Also it has very solid efficiency 'rating'.

On the negative side 'for me', they don't come in a 7317/14610/7356 size only the shorty 6607. For ~$10 regular price that makes them a no go. Unless part of a stellar AZ oil/filter promo combo, wouldn't use one. Haven't seen one of those at AZ that interested me. Also with the FU (spin on) $1 less regular price and preferable coo, wouldn't choose the XL first in that tier filter. My .02

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The STP XL anecdotes posted show it to be a well made filter, this no exception. Also it has very solid efficiency 'rating'.

On the negative side 'for me', they don't come in a 7317/14610/7356 size only the shorty 6607. For ~$10 regular price that makes them a no go. Unless part of a stellar AZ oil/filter promo combo, wouldn't use one. Haven't seen one of those at AZ that interested me. Also with the FU (spin on) $1 less regular price and preferable coo, wouldn't choose the XL first in that tier filter. My .02

Thanks for c&p.

Got mine with the Autozone deal.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kage860
Based on product info it seems that they are calling the media in this synthetic while the media in the mobil 1 filter is a blended media. Does this mean this is a better filter than the Mobil 1 or am I misinterpreting that?

I think Mobil1 Extended Performance oil filter is comparable. I'm a little unclear about what STP Ext Life's "synthetic resin media". Maybe they mean resin impregnated cellulose media???? Mobil1 uses a blended glass fiber and cellulose media with decent performance. Fram Ultra by comparison uses all glass fiber AFAIK.

Anybody know what STP media really is?

(bump)
Brought to the front - in hopes more have a review on these STP Extended Life filters.
The 99% efficiency rating @20 - same as Fram Ultra, suggests it may be Fram's equal. Both filter brands are priced similar. I'd be interested in knowing which flows more at idle.

I'm guessing more time is needed, to evaluate the new STP entry. I suppose a simple flow test would need to be done by someone that has used both filters and has a vehicle with an oil pressure readout on their dashboard.

Any other kind of testing would be more complicated and left to sophisticated equipment and/or engineers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
(bump)
Brought to the front - in hopes more have a review on these STP Extended Life filters.
The 99% efficiency rating @20 - same as Fram Ultra, suggests it may be Fram's equal. Both filter brands are priced similar. I'd be interested in knowing which flows more at idle.

All oil filters should flow the same at idle, unless one is totally clogged up.

At idle, the oil pump is putting out the least volume of oil flow. All flow coming out of the pump will go through the oil filter because no oil pump should be in pressure relief at an idle unless you have 20W-50 in the sump at -40 deg F.

Where the flow difference of oil filters shows up is when the oil pump hits pressure relief near redline. That's when the system switches from positive displacement fed to purely pressure fed by the pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back