Could I just stop getting rear ended? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Luckily everybody was mostly ok.Was driving down the freeway today when traffic slowed to a stop in my lane, not a fast stop just a normal one. I stopped and so did the PT Cruiser behind me. I looked in my left rear view mirror and saw a silver Honda Accord coming up fast a ways back. It then started smoking as she slammed on the brakes and hit the rear of a silver Cadillac SRX. The SRX then went into the rear of the PT Cruiser which went into me. I let off the brakes as I watched it happen, with a car in front of me I couldn't hit the gas pedal.

My Sonata isn't too bad, just the rear bumper. I'm a little sore but mostly fine. The woman in the Accord who caused the accident must not have been wearing a seatbelt as her head hit the windshield, she had minor cuts to her head. The woman in the SRX had a swollen lip and cheek. The man in the PT Cruiser was fine.

This happened at 8:30 this morning and I filed an insurance claim, the woman at fault also has State Farm. My insurance will be paying for my car for now, then bill her policy afterwards. Already dropped off my car at a body shop, they think they'll replace the bumper. State Farm covers all OEM parts so im not worried. Hertz came and picked me up for a rental car but the only car they had in stock was a Toyota Yaris. Yeah, no, not gonna happen. They said I can go to any other Hertz and swap for a full size if they have one in stock. The other Hertz I went to had a 2017 Sonata Hybrid. Nice car so far, I'll have it for close to a week.

Last year I was rear ended at an intersection which totaled my Camry. So if I could just stop getting rear-ended, that would be great.

Sorry to hear that, but glad youre OK.

Maybe slow down from further away and leave more space in front? Easier said than done I know...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe slow down from further away and leave more space in front? Easier said than done I know...
It was an easy slow down, very casual come to a stop. She probably wasn't paying attention since it was enough time for me and the two other cars to be completely stopped before she plowed into the back of the Cadillac

I'm glad there were no major injuries.

You did mention that you took your foot off the brake when you saw this happening. Was that just something that you happened to do, or was that the best thing for your car under the circumstances? Would your brakes have been likely to suffer damage if you had your foot on the pedal, and the car was forcibly moved?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It was an easy slow down, very casual come to a stop. She probably wasn't paying attention since it was enough time for me and the two other cars to be completely stopped before she plowed into the back of the Cadillac

My Yaris was rear-ended twice at about the same stop sign, about 1 year apart. residential neighborhood, with 20mph speed....

Sorry to hear that man. Dunno why it is exactly, but Phoenix seems to have some really bad drivers. Probably the mix of undoc. immigrants, and snowbirds from all over North America, plus the natives/locals, all with different driving experience.

...that, and too many people not paying attention because they're on their phones, or whatever.

at least your Hyundai didn't get the full brunt of that damage. I feel bad for the owner of that SRX - Odds are good that thing is totaled.

Also, glad to hear you weren't injured.

Probably texting some nonsense or worse. I have drivers following me too close every time I take the car out. I don't think seventy five percent of drivers know how to calculating following distance(and it's very easy) You need to have three seconds following distance to safely stop. It's not two seconds anymore. And in adverse weather, the second count can go up to eight, ten or whatever.

Originally Posted By: paulri
You did mention that you took your foot off the brake when you saw this happening. Was that just something that you happened to do, or was that the best thing for your car under the circumstances? Would your brakes have been likely to suffer damage if you had your foot on the pedal, and the car was forcibly moved?
I took my foot off the brake to try to move forward so I didn't get bumped, want enough.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
How do you like the Hybrid?

Not too many miles on it yet, have to leave for work right now so I'll get back with my impressions.

I'm glad most everyone made it out ok. When traffic stops on the highway, I always look in the rearview and hope they stop.

Sometimes it's hard to see brake lights when the sun's shining into the rear end of the SUV, when the paint's reflecting a lot of light. (Can see shadow angle of person in one photo. Also, I can see it happening with the PT Cruiser's paint, reflecting so much light from the LHS it's saturating your camera.)
The Cadillac has a fat piece of chrome above the license plate mount, reflecting plenty of sun.

My drive home's been a pain lately, a lot of evening sun and chrome-like reflections from slab rear ends and flat spots at the license plate mount.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Sometimes it's hard to see brake lights when the sun's shining into the rear end of the SUV, when the paint's reflecting a lot of light. (Can see shadow angle of person in one photo. Also, I can see it happening with the PT Cruiser's paint, reflecting so much light from the LHS it's saturating your camera.)
The Cadillac has a fat piece of chrome above the license plate mount, reflecting plenty of sun.

My drive home's been a pain lately, a lot of evening sun and chrome-like reflections from slab rear ends and flat spots at the license plate mount.

A fair assessment, but any personal injury attorney will tell you that the first thing you should do when driving and the Sun impairs your vision and ability to drive it to *stop* driving. While that's likely not possible for most people, it's certainly important to drive with an added amount of caution.

I get passed often on the interstate, but I still maintain a 3-5 second space between me and the folks in front of me. I want plenty of reaction time to stomp on the ole stoppers.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Probably texting some nonsense or worse. I have drivers following me too close every time I take the car out. I don't think seventy five percent of drivers know how to calculating following distance(and it's very easy) You need to have three seconds following distance to safely stop. It's not two seconds anymore. And in adverse weather, the second count can go up to eight, ten or whatever.

He He! Good one.

Try that here and you'll get about 8 cars and/or a semi-trailer or four slaloming round you into the gap.

In the UK maybe only four cars and/or an articulated lorry or two.

Last edited:
Glad you're ok! Did you fall out of your car, "Oooo!!! My neck"!!

Could be a money maker..

I'm KIDDING!

Glad your ok! I think there is more of this due to what i now call Idiot Phones( my term for smart phones, as it makes idiots out of people).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back