Nasty F4 accident

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the downside of standing starts, when a car stalls on track. A similar incident happened at the IndyCar race on the IMS road course a few years ago. Fortunately the Kardashian pods deflected a lot of the energy and no-one was injured.

I was glad to see such huge support in the motorsports community.

Horrifying...that kid is the same age as my daughter.
Watching the crash made me feel sick to my stomach...hope he heals up as best he can.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Horrifying...that kid is the same age as my daughter.
Watching the crash made me feel sick to my stomach...hope he heals up as best he can.

I felt the same. He is younger than my daughter.
I can't begin to imagine what kind of challenges both he and his family face. Hopefully somehow he will be able to make some good out of it in the same way that a close relative of mine was able to do.

This is the reality of motor racing. We tend to forget it because with the safety of these newer cars it happens so infrequently. But it happens none the less. It's a dangerous sport, and always will be. And has it's been said many times. Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop.

Poor kid. None of the stories are providing reasonable details, but mostly talk about fundraising. What happened to the other guy? What part of the race was this? I don't mean to be second guessing, but why weren't there any yellow flags, red flags, or some other way to control the speed? This doesn't look like it was a problem with a standing start.

I don't know enough about F4, unfortunately. In F1, we know if a guy goes off onto the grass, even, we can occasionally see yellow flags waved briefly. Crofty and Brundle don't even know what happened unless the producers give them a replay. Did the other fellow's car just quit in a hurry? Was it sitting there for a while?

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, especially when you know nothing, like me. He's alive, and for that, I'm grateful for him and his family.

That's the same video I posted above. The kid looks like he's 7 years old. Garak makes a very good point. Where were the yellow flags? Why was that car seemingly stopped on the track? This accident had nothing to do with a shotgun start.

Originally Posted By: billt460
That's the same video I posted above. The kid looks like he's 7 years old. Garak makes a very good point. Where were the yellow flags? Why was that car seemingly stopped on the track? This accident had nothing to do with a shotgun start.

Thanks to Whitewolf for the link, again. I had come across a couple vids of it already. The point is, you can't have the slightest moment in an F1 car without marshals waving flags and the yellow lights going off on screen and the drivers' wheels. Someone hits the grass, and the graphics are going off. Here, we have something much more hazardous, right on the track, and racing is continuing.

Essentially, from that video, and I admit that a definitive narrative is lacking, and I really wonder why that is lacking, we have a situation where, at the very least, yellow flags should have been being waved, which would forbid overtaking, which is what Monger was doing. This car was stopped or very much slowed down (again, the details released are horribly lacking) just off the racing line, which should have triggered something up to and including a red flag long before Monger got there, as in long enough to slow things down and prevent overtaking.

Racing is risky, yes, but you don't park cars adjacent to the racing line for a very good reason, and if they're there, the racing has to be neutralized until the hazard is gone.

I can't help but wonder if there is a big law suit pending here? I know racing is understood to be a dangerous endeavor. But this reeks of negligence on the part of the track, along with the people in charge of race officiating. There was no reason for that car to be there, and even less reason for the officials or track marshals not to notice it. Now we've got a young kid with his whole life in front of him with no legs. It just seems like it all could have been easily prevented. Racing is dangerous enough without having officials not doing their job. There seems to be an eerie silence attached to this whole thing. Considering how devastating of an accident it was. Along with the craziness of how it occurred.

I'm wondering the same thing. There was another fatality of some sort there a week or two prior.

And, I wonder the same thing, because the details are just not in any story, and you'd think the journalists could easily grab these details. How far into the race was this? How long was the other car a hazard on the side of the track? Where were the marshals? Where was the race director? I find it extremely difficult to believe that Motosport and Autosport magazines/websites (I have a premium subscription to the latter) do not have the resources or inclination to publish such details. If they can tell us it took nearly two hours to extricate and airlift the kid, and exactly how much money Max Verstappen and Jenson Button donated, they can tell us how far this was into the race and how long the other car posed a hazard.

Yet, every news story I read is nothing more than self-congratulation about the donations that have been amassed for Monger. That's great, and important, but why did the need for donations exist in the first place? That, unfortunately, and frankly, is the difference between real journalism and journalism by press release. Everyone is quite happy for their names to be attached to five figure donations, and those details are handed out by press release and press agents. Now, how about the answers for the more uncomfortable questions?

I'm not surprised if there is concern about legal ramifications. Even the Motorsport site's comment section on these Monger stories are pretty sanitized and homogeneous, whereas there's normally all kinds of sniping and conspiracy theories, in them, including off topic rambles about Senna's death in totally unrelated threads - not this one.

The only criticism I saw in the comment sections there was someone pointing out that there's way too much charity being flung around in this episode for a rich man's sport, and a solitary soul questioning where the officials were. We've actually discussed it more here than they have there!

Originally Posted By: Garak
The only criticism I saw in the comment sections there was someone pointing out that there's way too much charity being flung around in this episode for a rich man's sport, and a solitary soul questioning where the officials were. We've actually discussed it more here than they have there!

You know what else stinks. I'm not hearing a word from any of the other drivers about any of this. It's like they're under a gag order. The guy ahead of Monger just barely got out of the way before hitting the same guy. You would think he would be screaming his head off. That whole thing was a fraction of a second from being twice as bad. And you're right about all of the charity. There is no way a kid that young could possibly get into a ride like that without wealthy parents. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. But all of the charity does seem a bit odd, as opposed to having it for someone like Justin Wilson's family. Who was not wealthy in the least, compared to other guys he raced against.

FIA and MSA now have an investigation going, so everyone is under a gag order, to boot, except for celebrities tweeting out screen shots of their donations. Earlier on, one story claimed it was privacy matters, yet that's clearly baloney. They've told us that Monger lost his lower legs, was put in a medically induced coma, awakened from one, is conscious and speaking, and has had surgeries every day, how much was donated down to the nearest penny, who did the donations, all from the same site talking about privacy. So, where's the privacy? CYA isn't a synonym of privacy.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Essentially, from that video, and I admit that a definitive narrative is lacking, and I really wonder why that is lacking, we have a situation where, at the very least, yellow flags should have been being waved, which would forbid overtaking, which is what Monger was doing. This car was stopped or very much slowed down (again, the details released are horribly lacking) just off the racing line, which should have triggered something up to and including a red flag long before Monger got there, as in long enough to slow things down and prevent overtaking.

It's possible the car he hit had just slowed way down and there was no time for official to react. Obviously the cars in front of Monger were still going full tilt, so he had no indication that there was any danger ahead.

If you look closely at the video between 3 to 6 seconds you can see the car he hit is way out in front of the group he's in and still moving at a good speed, so apparently it then slowed way down in a hurry causing this accident. That driver should have quickly gotten off in the grass if his car lost power and slowed down that fast.

It's still hard to say. We're not going to get proper details any time soon, either, which is unfortunate. I saw that part of the clip, and it's still not definitive to me. Well, if we're lucky, we'll find out eventually.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back