'09 Travers misfire codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '09 Traverse with 85k miles. CEL came on, here are the codes: PO300,P0301, PO303, PO306

I cleared the codes, so I'm going to wait and see if they come back.

If they do; I'm thinking it may be carbon deposits on the back of the valves.?

Any other ideas? Thanks

I doubt the carbon theory is the cause. I would suspect something breaking down in the ignition system but don't know possibility of sevaral coil packs being bad, worn plugs or vacuum leak(s).If codes set again, you can swap around coil packs and see if codes stay the same. I have had perfectly looking plugs cause a misfire and set codes. Start with the basics.

Last edited:
According to GMC Acadia Forum:

P0300 represents random misfire
P0301= cyl1
P0303= cyl3
P0306= cyl6

Typically has to do with the ignition system...coil pks/spk plugs etc. Further investigation is needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
With this being 1-3-6, are those all on one side of the motor?

I don't believe so.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Have you had the timing chain done on this?

No. I was wondering about this too. My research has found that usually throws up a different code/codes. But I'm not ruling it out.

I'd read up for similar issues for this series of engine. Hopefully this could point to something. Random misfires could be as simple as contaminated fuel, dirty MAF (if so equipped) or low system voltage. All a guessing game without more specific codes.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
With this being 1-3-6, are those all on one side of the motor?

I don't believe so.

Ugh, that makes it harder.
I continue to hear older Traverse/Enclave horror stories and my in-laws own a 2012 Enclave and he keeps saying "there seems to be more and more things going wrong with it."

My neighbor has one of these with the same problems. Literally replaced everything but the timing chain. I bet that's the cause.

Every week there's a new problem with theirs. If you can, I'd look into selling it now if you can.

Really need to have it diagnosed by a good tech. Could be a myriad of things to also include a vacuum leak causing the issue. I would have it thrown on a good scan tool and have the fuel trims checked to see what they are doing before throwing parts randomly at it.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Really need to have it diagnosed by a good tech. Could be a myriad of things to also include a vacuum leak causing the issue. I would have it thrown on a good scan tool and have the fuel trims checked to see what they are doing before throwing parts randomly at it.

That's what I plan on doing if the codes come back.

Clearing codes is fools gold. Looks good, feels good, but the ECU is not mistaken. It will be back after a few days/week. Do the basics, some cleaning. and if that doesn't work IMO its vacuum. I would swap the IMG. The IMG would impact multiple cylinders. Throw of the fuel/air mix causing a misfire.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
According to GMC Acadia Forum:

P0300 represents random misfire
P0301= cyl1
P0303= cyl3
P0306= cyl6

Typically has to do with the ignition system...coil pks/spk plugs etc. Further investigation is needed.

+1 this is where I would start

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Any updates?

They never came back. Had it inspected a week later and it passed.

It had been sitting for a week or two before these codes popped up. Also the battery is original. Maybe the voltage was down for a second. Swapping the battery this weekend.

Will update if something happens.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Clearing codes is fools gold. Looks good, feels good, but the ECU is not mistaken. It will be back after a few days/week. Do the basics, some cleaning. and if that doesn't work IMO its vacuum. I would swap the IMG. The IMG would impact multiple cylinders. Throw of the fuel/air mix causing a misfire.

IMG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back