Motor home tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rear Tires on a 2004 Ford F53 20,500 GVWR have a manufacturing date of 4203. These are the original Goodyear tires that came from the factory. Over 36K on tires and only sign of wear is a 1" superficial sidewall crack on right rear exterior tire. Front tires are new.

Being over 13 years old on such a heavy vehicle are these tires even safe?

If I do replace is there a benefit to using load range G vs F?

I live in a vacation destination area and I see trailers and RV's with shredded old tires all the time. My rule is 10 year max if they look good and less if they bake in the sun and are cracked.

I'm not saying they are safe but just because they are old doesn't mean they are bad. Had a friend drive 500 miles on the most cracked Michelins I've ever seen on an old RV and didn't blow a single tire. Made in 2001.

Get new NOW!! G rated will give you a better margin for your weight ant little or no extra cost. I really like the Hankook, on my second set now.

G rated would give a better variability to adjust for weight/mileage.
Do you use the the Hankkok AH11s?

Sailum or Hercules Tires are popular (for low cost) in this application on the RV boards-since this type of tire ages out before they wear out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
I'm not saying they are safe but just because they are old doesn't mean they are bad. Had a friend drive 500 miles on the most cracked Michelins I've ever seen on an old RV and didn't blow a single tire. Made in 2001.

I disagree. The rubber breaks down and old tires have trouble holding themselves together let alone flexing hundreds of times a minute.
Back when I was a child, so probably like '96-'98 or therabouts, my grandparents slowly blew every tire on their '88 Honey motorhome. Finally after like the third tire destroying the fiberglass fenderwell (and repairing it each time) they broke down and bought the other three as well.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Sailum or Hercules Tires are popular (for low cost) in this application on the RV boards-since this type of tire ages out before they wear out.

I just replaced the Westlake tires on my 5th wheel toy hauler based on advice from the RV.net board. I went with Sailun S637 load range G rated tires. Another option were the Goodyear G614's. But opinions of the Goodyear's were mixed, and I have never owned a Goodyear tire that I liked. So the decision for me was easy.

Anyway, I would absolutely replace tires as old as the OP's.

Sailun are made by the Sailun Tire Corp. in China.

After reading too many reviews of tires from people on RV forums that have actually owned and ran the tires. The reviews are generally favorable for the Sailun S637. Certainly moreso than the Westlake tires I had, and even more favorable than the Goodyear G614's.

No complaints from me about how the Sailun's performed on a recent couple hundred mile trip on my 43' Toy Hauler.

Good luck with your decision.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Sailun are made by the Sailun Tire Corp. in China.

After reading too many reviews of tires from people on RV forums that have actually owned and ran the tires. The reviews are generally favorable for the Sailun S637. Certainly moreso than the Westlake tires I had, and even more favorable than the Goodyear G614's.

No complaints from me about how the Sailun's performed on a recent couple hundred mile trip on my 43' Toy Hauler.

Good luck with your decision.

CAUTION-China bashing ahead!

The local tire shop sells a lot of Hercules Tires and keeps the Uniroyal RS20 G rated in stock. Never used Hercules but have used Dean which is also a Cooper brand and they worked well on a 1971 F350 Chasis Mount Camper. I'll price the Hercules against the uniroyal. Thanks for the input, the only driving I'm going to do is to the Tire shop.

EVERY time I drive inter-state in the summer I see RVs with shredded tires. Seems like part of owning any vehicle is maintaining it; replace those tires and have one less thing to worry about!

Originally Posted By: SOWT
G rated would give a better variability to adjust for weight/mileage.
Do you use the the Hankkok AH11s?

Yes, AH11 in a 245-19.5 G

Don't go up a load range, it's not necessary. You will not be able to carry more since that's dictated by axles, brakes, and powertrain. You would need to reference the load & inflation tables to find the pressure to run and maintain that higher pressure and suffer a stiffer tire with a harsh ride. There is already a safety margin built into the tires as long as you're under GVWR/GCWR.

I have people put LT tires on light trucks that came with P-metric tires and they think it will haul more. The ride quality goes to [censored] and they regret it.

Hercules is an independent tire wholesaler and importer. Both Hercules and Cooper are headquartered in Findlay, Ohio, and Hercules likely buys a lot of tires from Cooper who is a large private label tire maker.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Don't go up a load range, it's not necessary. You will not be able to carry more since that's dictated by axles, brakes, and powertrain. You would need to reference the load & inflation tables to find the pressure to run and maintain that higher pressure and suffer a stiffer tire with a harsh ride. There is already a safety margin built into the tires as long as you're under GVWR/GCWR.

I have people put LT tires on light trucks that came with P-metric tires and they think it will haul more. The ride quality goes to [censored] and they regret it.

This is an excellent point, and one that too many people overlook. GAWR (gross axle weight rating) is determined by axle, spring, brake and tire rating taken as an assembly. Increasing tire rating does not change the other components.

Think of it this way: you have a 1/4 chain with the hooks attached by paper clips. If you move up to 1/2 inch chain are the paper clips any stronger? As long as the load rating of your current tire is adequate the only thing you'll gain is a rougher ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back