How old is too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIL found some old Nissan OEM filters in his garage. They are the 15208-9E000 Made in USA. I figure they are probably at least 15 years old. I opened one up and the filter looks to be in good shape externally with no signs of rust and the gasket looks good also. Only concern I would have is the media. Could these bad boys withstand a 5000 mile OCI if I used them in the Q50?

How old is too old?

I'd bet money that nobody on the planet can give an absolutely confident answer to your question, but since you only ask:-

"Could these bad boys withstand a 5000 mile OCI if I used them in the Q50?" I'd say, Yes, they could

I'd think they probably would, too. But I don't KNOW.

article-2403742-1B7EC094000005DC-760_634x311.jpg

I probably wouldn't use them. If these filters were kept in a temperature and humidity controlled environment for all 15 years it might be enticing to run one of them. But even given the best ideal circumstance I would not use them due to these filters being made of cellulose media. But like JC1 stated if you were to run them on a true beater vehicle then hey what the hey!

Last edited:
They are such a small part of the expense of maintaining a vehicle I'd opt for not using them.

Do cut one open just to take a look.

I realize oil filters are cheap and money isn't the issue I have here. I'm not an advocate of wastefulness so if I don't have to toss it into the recycle bin without it being used, I won't. But having said that, I am leaning towards just keeping them on my shelf and giving them away to anyone who wants them for target practice.

I have read other threads and there seems to be no consensus as to whether or not old unused filters are still usable. Like I said, the media is the main concern, and with these engines running really hot during the summer months, I'm not sure of the media's capabilities because it is so old. Maybe I'm over thinking this........

I'll just stick to the newer stock I have in my stash. Thanks for all the replies.

15 years is WAY too old!

Motorking said on here that Fram takes them back after 5 years

I cut open an 8-yo M1 and the filter media got dark and felt brittle, not safe to use.

My limit is 2, maybe 3, years for hard-to-find filters/low-volume applications. But for more popular applications like yours, my limit is a year.

Just go to Napa and get a 7356 (or Wix 57356)

Use them with out worry. 4-5k is just fine. If you are worried I would run one for 3k and then cut it open. I'm betting it will look just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back