Oil burning hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
No, I would not say that's normal. What do the plugs look like? Any ash deposits on them?

Have you taken a look at the plugs?

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I had that issue with an 05 Durango I had with 79k on it.Would be the same Hemi you have since it didn't have MDS. Used to actually get sooty on the tailgate and the rainbow effect on the tailgate glass from all the oil it burned. 1qt/1000k is annoying I agree, but within the spec. Sure there aren't any leaks? What brand PCV? If it's aftermarket, get a Mopar one in there, there's a quality difference.

+1 on the PCV, it matters. OE is the only way to go.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Stop applying vacuum to the crankcase and you'll see a BIG reduction in oil drinking...

Pardon my ignorance, but would that just mean putting a traditional breather on each valve cover and then removing all the PCV [censored]/capping it off? I'd do that before spending a punch of money to redo the system with factory parts.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Originally Posted By: Olas
Stop applying vacuum to the crankcase and you'll see a BIG reduction in oil drinking...

Pardon my ignorance, but would that just mean putting a traditional breather on each valve cover and then removing all the PCV [censored]/capping it off? I'd do that before spending a punch of money to redo the system with factory parts.

That would be one way to do it
smile.gif

I use a long hose (road draft tube) instead of a small breather filter on the valve cover, and everything else capped off.

However, if your oil consumption problem is rings or stem seals then changing the PCV system won't make any difference..

Ordered a new mopar pcv valve to try . Currently have one from napa in there. . Hopefully it makes a difference . I've had had the original one and this napa one .

Sometimes eliminating the PCV system is the only way to go.

I have a gas NPR that would drink almost the entire sump capacity (until loss of oil pressure) in half a day of operation.

I removed the PCV system and installed breathers with tubes instead, with the tubes feeding into the intake tract (so it doesn't stink).

Now, it doesn't even use enough oil during an OCI to need a top-off.

The trouble is that some engines pump enough oil up into the valve covers at high-rpm for the PCV valve to drink it out of the engine. For this reason, many manufacturers have moved the PCV valve out of the valve/cam cover and into the valley to stop this from happening.

Well new pcv was no help . Also trying a dose of bg epr and moa on this current change to see if it helps .

Put a catch can on it and see how much it catches. Grab one of the air compressor air filters from Lowes/Home Depot at first, and if it's moving a lot of oil through that route, buy a real one to put on permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back