Nissan smart key..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

My recently acquired used 2016 Nissan Quest SV had only one FOB when I bought it from a dealership. It's push-button start (no ignition key) At delivery they acted all shocked and dumbfounded they didn't have the extra, but would supply me with an additional FOB that of course they didn't have in stock at the time. Today, a mobile key service met me at my local Nissan dealer and supplied me with and programmed the new FOB while I sat in the passenger seat. They've totally made this process not DIY-able. You need a hand-held computer that's all menu driven, plugged into the diagnostic port to program these things to work with your vehicle. I'd imagine the FOB and programming isn't cheap!

Just went thru this exercise with my Prius;

$80 FOB; $120 'reprogramming time' and $120 for a 'laser cut key' which is yota talk for 'a key'; i found the FOB after a search with a flashlight.

I looked on youtube and the reprogram for the prius seems to be just a sequence of calisthenics that takes about 10 minutes. If one loses all keys, it is a $1000 job according to priuschat.

i will be guarding my fob with my life; i got a deal on the car from my parents; i would never buy such nonsense new.

A guy @ work is selling a 1993 Volvo 240 with 170K for $1500; i think i'd be happier with that.

Last edited:
Welcome to 10 years ago. This has been the norm for a long time.

Did the mobile key service place give you a genuine key? There is one our sales department uses that is cheap and they use the knock off keys or rebuild factory keys then try to get us to warranty them as if they were genuine.

I guess I've been lucky. I haven't programmed a new FOB for a vehicle in a good 10yrs. Best I can tell the replacement is OEM, or atleast it's just like the beat up one that came with the van.

Some dealers will try to supply car buyers with only one microprocessor start key system even though to manufactures supplies two. I would not accept a new or USED vehicle without two system keys. ed

Mercedes charges $500 for a keyless go key, around $300 for a regular key. You go to the dealer to prove ownership and they take a couple days to mail you one. Then they charge for programming, but all that really involves is putting the key in the ignition and making sure it works.

It's very important not to lose any keys these days and to always make sure you get two keys.

If one is in the habit of misplacing keys or just wants some piece of mind, I would recommend a tracker that you can use with your smartphone or whatever you have to locate them. $25-30 spent might save hundreds later on.

my buddies little brother is REALLY good at loosing keys and remotes..
their mom's aztek at one time had 2 of each, and she had a remote start installed, so there's 2 more fobs.
in 2012,she took a job in AK, he drove it for a couple years, down to 1 key, zero fobs.

2014 i bought my Sable, sold her my neon. when i sold it, it had 2 factory keys, 2 factory remotes, (one set of which hadn't been used more than a hand full of times since my brother bought the car new in early '06), and a "spare" blank i had cut and kept in my wallet, just in case i ever locked myself out/keys in the car.

now it's his car, we're down to 1 factory key, zero fobs.
I'm really hoping we find them as we clear out her house in prepping it for sale.

with that age of dodge, you can program additional keys/fobs yourself, but you need to have 2 existing ones in your possession at the time as well.

On many vehicles you can use a only metal (no electronics) key made for a few dollars at just about any decent hardware store, as a spare to unlock the doors if you ever lock the keys in the vehicle. If the vehicle requires an electronic key the plain jane only metal key without electronics will not be able to start the vehicle, but it will unlock the doors. The lock for most doors is not electronic.

Our 2001 Chevy Impala has a double sided key without any electronics. The ignition requires that both sides of the key has groves in it (the groves on both sides are identical). However the door locks only require the groves to be on one side of the key. I had a key cut with only groves cut on one side. On the other side I had the hardware store remove all the metal that normally is used to provide the keying. That key will unlock the doors if you put it in the door with the groves on the correct side, but it can not work in the ignition. I wrapped that key in clear plastic, and then wrapped that in electric tape. I used pieces of Gorilla duct tape to fasten that wrapped up key to the outside of the vehicle somewhere where no one can easily see it. If anyone ever did find it they would only be able to unlock the doors, but would not be able to start the vehicle. If the main keys ever get locked in the vehicle I can access the enter only key and unlock the doors.

With a modern push button start fob, no fears about locking the fob inside. You never need to take it out of your pocket and the car won't lock with the fob inside. Can't even lock it in the trunk, the trunk will pop back open. Guess if your battery died you'd be double up the creek.

There is always some sort of override/contingency for this scenario, such as a hidden key slot.

The car will also hassle you for several weeks when the battery starts to get weak.

Yes, I meant that if your car battery goes dead, you could lock the fob in the trunk and then you'd be really in trouble.

My fob has a hidden key to open the door should the fob's battery die. Then it's supposed to start if the fob is held right next to the push button. I hope there is a low battery warning for the fob. Be changing that without delay.

One of my fobs has a little metal tag with a code number on it. They said the programming is easier (cheaper) if I have this code. They fob stays home in the extra car key drawer.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

One of my fobs has a little metal tag with a code number on it. They said the programming is easier (cheaper) if I have this code. They fob stays home in the extra car key drawer.

That's the code a locksmith or a dealer will use to cut the key - the immobilizer's RFID pellet doesn't have a "code" tag - the receiver in the ignition switch will transmit the pellet's ID to the ECM.

I have my parents keep the other fob - that way if I lose it, I have a backup.

There are a series of codes that are behind the hidden key in my Nissan Quest's FOB. I snapped a photo of them with my phone. The hidden (conventional) key on the Nissan fob unlocks the driver's side door and will roll down the window if you hold it twisted counter-clockwise. This key also will lock/unlock the glovebox. That's it. You can't start the engine without this magic FOB. There's no hidden keyhole in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
their mom's aztek at one time had 2 of each, and she had a remote start installed, so there's 2 more fobs.
in 2012,she took a job in AK, he drove it for a couple years, down to 1 key, zero fobs.

2014 i bought my Sable, sold her my neon. when i sold it, it had 2 factory keys, 2 factory remotes, (one set of which hadn't been used more than a hand full of times since my brother bought the car new in early '06), and a "spare" blank i had cut and kept in my wallet, just in case i ever locked myself out/keys in the car.

I'm really hoping we find them as we clear out her house in prepping it for sale.

with that age of dodge, you can program additional keys/fobs yourself, but you need to have 2 existing ones in your possession at the time as well.

On the Sable I believe you can just program additional FOBs with just one key. There's some sequence to do it. They're pretty cheap on eBay. You do need to have 2 keys to make a 3rd one. But for Ford, there's Forscan which actually has a module that lets you get into the security system and you can add and remove keys so if you just have one key you can make a couple more keys and add it to the system. Forscan is free and works with a ELM327 code reader.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: earlyre

On the Sable I believe you can just program additional FOBs with just one key. There's some sequence to do it. They're pretty cheap on eBay. You do need to have 2 keys to make a 3rd one. But for Ford, there's Forscan which actually has a module that lets you get into the security system and you can add and remove keys so if you just have one key you can make a couple more keys and add it to the system. Forscan is free and works with a ELM327 code reader.

I'm good with the sable. have 2 keys, have forscan, etc. and the programming instructions for additionals are in the manual.
the problem is with my old neon(the kids brother's current car), and the mom's Aztek. the kid brother has lost everything for them,except for 1 key each

I know nothing of GM key programming, and the instructions for the neon are in the owners manual, but you need 2 keys/remotes to program a 3rd, 4th, etc. thanks Daimler!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back