Polaris lubricant equivilants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1997 Polaris Xplorer 300. 2 stroker. I did a search on this forum and found some info but I'm a bit confused about what is a safe equivalent when it comes to lubrications. It seems every time someone asks the same question, it turns into a "Polaris fluids are overpriced" thread.

Lets just cut to the chase:

There are two in question. The first one is the gearbox. Polaris shop manual says to use their "Premium" synthetic gear oil. Can I use the same synthetic gear oil I used in my Subaru which I think is 75W90 synthetic? Is GL-5 OK?

The front hubs. I've heard everything from Type F ATF (which was what old Fords with C4 and C6 transmissions used) to Mercon and Dexron. The Type F has some sort of additive to make the clutchs grip but Mercon and Dexron do not. Which one should I use?

This is a problem I've had with Polaris' too. I take care of about 20 of them and they really want you to use their overpriced polaris branded fluids. One fluid I can't find a replacement for is the AGL fluid. Look at the amsoil website and they list many replacements for the polaris stuff.

Originally Posted By: TurboFiat124
There are two in question. The first one is the gearbox. Polaris shop manual says to use their "Premium" synthetic gear oil. Can I use the same synthetic gear oil I used in my Subaru which I think is 75W90 synthetic? Is GL-5 OK?

The front hubs. I've heard everything from Type F ATF (which was what old Fords with C4 and C6 transmissions used) to Mercon and Dexron. The Type F has some sort of additive to make the clutchs grip but Mercon and Dexron do not. Which one should I use?

Yes, the gear lube will work fine in your gearbox. In the hubs I use a universal ATF, I use Mobil One specifically, never had any trouble, works like it should.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Double check if GL5 is suitable for your gearbox (yellow alloy corosion)

Good point. Which leads me to my next question.

I stopped by Autozone and their Havoline 75W90 Synthetic gear oil was $13 for a quart (liter) and I think Polaris want's around $15 so there is no cost savings. However I don't think there is any brass internals inside the gear box. It uses a CVT transmission but still has gears for forward,reverse and low range forward. No brass synchronizes.

I know this is probably not a good rule of thumb to go by but when it doubt, I always use GL-1 90 weight which is what my Fiat Spider's 5 speed uses. There's been a many of Fiat transmission messed up because people just grab the only gear oil most autopart stores sells which is GL-5.

You have to goto a tractor place to get GL-1 but it's actually cheaper than GL-5.

Looks to me like if there are just steel gears inside my Polaris, I could use GL-1 and be fine.

Is it a transaxle or separate gearbox/rear diff? I use Pennzoil Synchromesh in my transaxle (2014 Ranger 570). If it's a gearbox/rear diff setup, synchromesh in the gearbox, 75w90 in the diff.

I don't know if the transmission in my Polaris has a differential or not. It has a CVT transmission but I think it's separate from the gearbox. If it's like a Comet Torque-a-Verter on a go-kart then it has a pulley coming off the crankshaft pulley with a large belt going to another pulley coming off the gearbox.

From my Cl"y"mer Repair Manual:

Transmission oil

Polaris synthetic gear case oil (part No. 2871478) or
SAE 30 motor oil

Shift selector box

Polaris Premium 4 Synthetic 10W/40 or
SAE 10W/40 motor oil

Front hubs (4 × 4)

Premium demand drive hub fluid or Type F ATF

Brake fluid

DOT 3 brake fluid

Coolant

50:50 mixture of distilled water and a high-quality
ethylene glycol-based coolant, compounded
for aluminum radiators and engines

I am Mr. Polaris. I have had those transmissions all apart and the only reason I had to was people dumping Gear Oil in there. You can run about anything in there, ATF Dextron, I like the ATF +3. You can run 30 WT motor oil or any oil really but not Gear oil. They are chain driven, internally, not gear driven a gear oil produces too much drag and stretches the chain and before long you get a clunk when you take off.
Everytime I buy one and pull the dipstick and smell the gear oil, before long the tranny is out and I have to replace the $60 silent chain which requires about 8 hours labor doing it. You have to remove the transmission and split it. Not fun. Stay away from Gear oil. Anything but also don't be alarmed by metal on the magnetic plug, it will be covered in gray sludge Everytime to remove it, it's normal with every Polaris.

Last edited:
By "gearbox" I assume you are talking the transmission?
The Polaris ATV's of that vintage use a belt drive like a snowmobile for the CVT feature, it runs from the engine to a transmission that is shiftable from high, low, reverse, neutral.
Some use a chain, some use just gears, some use both, depending on the year.

If the lubes DNVDMAX posted above are correct,
for the transmission lube 2871478 is listed on the Amsoil website as being compatible with Amsoil synthetic Chaincase oil.

Type F atf seems to be the standard recommendation for the front hub fluid, although some say DEX3 or multi vehicle ATF will work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back