1997 BMW 328IC 5sp: US cross country trek and return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has 68k miles now, bought in 2003 with 28k. Soon after buying, I changed to Red Line trans and diff fluids, changed drive belts. Have changed oil regulary with M1 EP 15W50, normally Mann or Mahle cartridge filter. Spec oil is 15W-40. Have had no drivetrain issues. Several issues with Seat Belt Light, some Check Engine lights, and now cant reset Oil Change interval lights, and reported PDL not always working, according to the soon to be new owner, my 23 year old son. He started driving the car in January due to his car getting rear ended and totaled. 3 weeks from now he will drive for almost a week from SC to Everett, WA for a summer job. Will drive while there and return to SC in August to complete his Masters in IE through December: then into the world. I envision numerous calamities possible for the 6-7k mile journey. I am gifting him the car, getting it titled in his name prior to the trip. I am doing this in case something happens thousands of miles from SC and I cannot readily rescue the car; he can sell it or what ever needed. He has some, but limited car/mechanical ability (Statics aand Dynamics forced him to change from ME to IE). Also, I have recently replaced air filter, battery, tires...got a gallon of BMW coolant to replace also. Have never changed the spark plugs. Car runs great.
I have numerous oils available for the change just prior to the trip. M1 EP 15W-50, M1 0W-40, GC 0W30, ENEOS 0W-50, Syntec 5W-50, Rotella T4 15W-40...Was thinking of the retaining the 15W-50, or maybe using 2-3 quarts of 0W-40 with the 15W-50. I have never detected any oil consumption.
What oil say you, BITOGers? Anything else to check (have mini air compressor, jumper cables, old belts, aired up spare, lock box for valuables, spare key, orange vest, BMW tools in trunk lid, dynamo flashlight, AAA card).

This would be an e36, one of the best cars BMW ever made.
I'd say the car should be fine.
This isn't that many miles in the life of any car and this is a well looked after low mileage example.

Definitely do the plugs if you've never done them, they're still probably original! Otherwise Id have someone familiar with them look them over for anything that needs attention before a larger trip like this. Cooling system is a usual weak spot.

Has the cooling system ever been overhauled on this car?

If not, you've got a ticking time bomb of plastic components (radiator neck, thermostat housing, water pump impeller and expansion tank) that are all liable to fail given their age, not so much the mileage. Your radiator hoses, plus the numerous wee hoses under the manifold could also be deteriorated. Have a look.

Spark Plugs are an Inspection-II service item. My 1993 320i has a roughly 7,500 interval on the service lights (this was upgraded to 9,320 miles for the later E36's). Inspection-II on my car is therefore every 30K miles. On yours, it'd be closer to every 40K miles. They should've been changed at least once by 67K miles.

As for oil, if you have used 15w-50 without issue, stick with that. The manual for my vehicle recommends up to 20w50, depending on the expected climatic conditions. Rotella 15w40 would work fine too, as would M1 or Castrol oils. Buy whatever is cheapest, the M52 motor isn't really that fussy on oil, so long as its at least a -40 grade.

Keep in mind guys, the car has only 68k miles.

The E36 cooling system has a roughly 100k lifespan. If the coolant is clean and clear I would do the water pump and t-stat only. You can buy a full cooling system rebuild kit for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't jump straight to it.

Spark plugs are a good idea. I keep forgetting the shorter intervals on the older cars.

Change the brake fluid if it's close to -or over- two years old. DOT 4 only.

Thanks for all of the input. Performed spark plugs, air filter, 15W-50 oil and filter, water pump with cast impeller, aluminum water pump pulley, thermostat and aluminum housing, upper and lower radiator hoses, both belts, new front rotors, front and rear pads, freon. A lot of brown water from radiator. Thought water pump would have plastic impeller, but was a BMW pump with stamped/welded impeller. Interesting that 1 belt tensioner had 16mm bolt while the other had an 8mm allen head bolt. Son departed from SC yesterday evening and is in Kansas now, all OK except the recently UV cracked plastic rear window is getting worse, even with thick clear shipping tape on inside. Leaked water in at corners too. He will get aftermarket window and hopefully installed in WA next week. Current window is an OEM installed about 10 years ago. Lots of interior UV ageing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back