When maintenance skyrockets, bail and buy new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if my love for this 06 Escalade is blinding the truth - that I need to bail on GM products and go back to Japanese cars that last 200k + with no issues.

Just over 100k things started to happen to this beautiful SUV. Air ride compressor stopped. Air bags failed on the shocks. Then I had to tear the intake off to replace knock sensors. Power steering failed and needed to be completely replaced, along with pitman arm. Rear aux heat failure. Fuel pressure sensor failure requiring tank drop. When the tank came down the fuel pump was ready to fall in from corrosion. Spare tire stuck and need to be cut down, reinstalled whole new hoist. 2 catalytic converters failed requiring an outrageously expensive 3 cat y pipe. Exhaust header bolts are popping off. Rockers looking crusty. Transmission mount failed. The body mount rubber grommets look bad. Its literally falling apart at 145k. In the past 45k/3 years I've sunk about 5k into its maintenance. And... it only gets 14.5 mpg avg on premium.. ugh..

I need advice, Is it time to give up and trade for a new Japanese car, or should I keep going and fixing things with so much recent cash invested? I do love the truck, rides beautiful. But its costing me per month avg what I could have new, there is no savings.

I bailed on GM when they did not fire all the old upper management after taking the gov bailout. They never intended to make a better product for the public. Just line their pockets more.

You live in the rust belt.

Many of your problems are caused by corrosion, this isn't so much a mileage or brand question, but a salt exposure question...

And I think when you consider fuel costs in with repair costs, new makes sense.

BUT, why are you driving a huge gas-guzzling SUV if you're considering a Japanese car?

What do you actually need you vehicle to do? Seat 8? Tow? Seat 4? Get good gas mileage? Define the requirement first, because a good Japanese SUV that has all of the Caddy's capabilities is going to be very expensive and get equally terrible mileage. In that case, keep the Caddy.

If all you need is daily transportation, and you chose this big, thirsty, expensive SUV...well...that's an important lesson learned...I'm not suggesting that you shouldn't have what you want, but I am suggesting that it's expensive. Driving a big luxury vehicle is expensive. Period. If you like it and can afford it, great. If not, well, then there are better choices that might meet your actual requirements for transportation...instead of your desires...

Last edited:
the more complicated a vehicle is, the more systems in it to fail. I love having lots of features, but the older I get, the more I have come to appreciate simplicity. The tundra still uses cables in the dash to actuate heating and air. As it's been aging, yes it's required maintenance and repairs, but they've all been basics like brakes, bearings, shocks, because there aren't any frivolous systems to wear out. I've briefly thought about getting something newer, but decided for now I'm better off maintaining this one, and that's one of the reasons why.

You are two generations behind the Escalade/Tahoe/Denali. I suspect they are much better these last two generations. Your post started "my love for this" tells me that you are like me....when everything is right, it is a fantastic driving vehicle. You may want to look at used ones. You can find very nice examples for
Also, where are you getting your work done? If at the dealer, you are spending a fortune. I've saved a bundle (and become a well-known, good customer at my local Firestone Complete Care where I take extreme advantage of lifetime services such as alignment, rotation and balance as well as very good 80,000 mile Bridgestones that don't go the distance and get replaced at a nice discount. Also note that the 5.3 versions take regular gas and get about 16 in mixed driving if you drive reasonably.

Last edited:
Probably time for something new. Just keep in mind things have changed over the last decade or so: domestics, including GM, are better and the Japanese makes are arguably worse, so the quality gap has closed.

Supposedly my year is one of the best for reliability. Many complain about the new Escalade/yukon/tahoe ride. Too stiff. Ruff. Problems with new design. I fix as much as I can myself. But recently forced to dealer out of convenience. They handle everything, and give me a free car to drive. Even wash and deliver it. So I can work more to pay more - its a trap! ugh. Last week I had a new Malibu loaner. Was peppy with for a 4cyl, shifted and handled nice. but the cabin noise was horrible. Really rough. And I hated the fact it kept turning off at stoplights. With AC on the other day. But wow, did that thing get good mileage. Think I used $20 all week. 1/3 The escalade

I trade when the average monthly gets above $150, with a 24 month lookback. You're well past that but with your recent investments, start keeping track now- most of the stuff replaced won't ever need replacing again.

If it keeps being a money pit, let go....

Originally Posted By: Danh
Probably time for something new. Just keep in mind things have changed over the last decade or so: domestics, including GM, are better and the Japanese makes are arguably worse, so the quality gap has closed.

Truth here.
GM and Ford quality began to creep up during the bailout in 2008. I'd buy an AWD Fusion today (if I had the money). Although, I'd also buy a brand-new 4Runner and never need another vehicle ever again.

I need more money......

Even our CRV is getting a few expensive repairs with similar mileage. Rear brake cylinders, a rear wheel bearing, new cat, and not getting much better than 20mpg these days. We should be good for a while I think, but it will be sold or wrecked when the current tires get down to near legal minimum depth. I think I want to replace it with a '16 Sorento, so another year and a bit will get some used ones into my comfort zone.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Last week I had a new Malibu loaner... but the cabin noise was horrible. Really rough

a visit to an automotive audio shop and some sound mat could cure that.
could also find the dealer's body techs, and moonlight them for the project, since they know how to put the panels back the right way....

(hint hint) LS1MIKE has a couple threads about his turbo Malibu....

A lot of GM customers have no idea how good a car can actually be. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying it. That's OK. My opinion is based on management experience at dealerships, including GM dealerships.

Yep, it's time to get rid of that GovMo and get the Japanese SUV of your choice. GM to Lexus or Infiniti is a leapfrog decision. You will wonder why you strayed on the Escalade.

Didn't Cadillac learn anything from the airbag suspension experience years ago? It was problematic then.

Yeah - like my BIL's 400k Chevy - front wheel bearings only - no engine (MS dino) or transmission issues ...

In 2003 I wanted a 4 door pickup with a good camper shell so I purchased a 4Runner.

I have no plans to ever sell it unless something unexpected and expensive happens. So far everything is working just fine but I've only got just over 160K miles on it. I consider that just about broken in.

(Im guessing your a SUV person) VW is coming out with the new Atlas later this year. Supposed to be huge. If you don't want to do German, go look at a Toyota 4runner. Those things look very cool, and have very good resale/reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back