John Deere 4020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a late 1960's model John Deere 4020 propane fuel tractor.
Can someone provide a good quality oil recommendation To use besides the John Deere brand?
My understanding is that the oil should be low ash non detergent multi viscosity.
I am in the panhandle of Texas with recordtemperatures ranging from -10 to 110 degrees.
Thanks in advance.

Use John Deere hy-guard. It isn't any more expensive than anything else and is the correct fluid. I don't know off the top of my head if the are wet clutch and brakes but using the wrong fluid will ruin those.

Does the tractor have power shift?

Apples and oranges I suppose but we had a 4020 Diesel on our farm for decades. It ran in Farmers Co-Op 15w40 for 30+ years, still running today but no longer farming. I agree that any 15w40 would be well suited to your application. Walmart 15w40 is affordable as is Tractor Supply Travelers brand.

Thanks for the responses. This 4020 is a power shift and after double.checking the tractor supply specs and getting input from tractor forums I am using the tractor supply hydraulic oil and working just fine.
I don't load this tractor up really heavy just trice a year dishing and drilling so I will plan on using the Tractor Supply 15W40 Premium for the engine oil.
I was told years ago by my farmer bro-in-law (rip) that if you start using a detergent oil in an engine that has run non detergent it may start using oil. Not sure this would be the case since I've only owned this tractor for a short while and I understand propane engines are very clean running.
Thanks again for the responses.

Last edited:
I put many hours on a 4020. Propane is very clean and many indoor forklifts use propane. Probably will not see any discoloring of oil between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back