Anyone change air filter every oil change? We are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
6800 miles on this guy!

We are thinking 4000 mile oil changes and air filter changes from now on as our 4Runner is operating in some seriously dirty conditions!

2cmlugy.jpg

You might benefit from a DIY pre-filter on the air filter. Some foam that you could tap out and wash would catch the big stuff? cleaning it often would extend the life of the filter.

Either that, or restrict your off roading to days AFTER a rain :eek:)

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
You might benefit from a DIY pre-filter on the air filter. Some foam that you could tap out and wash would catch the big stuff? cleaning it often would extend the life of the filter.

Either that, or restrict your off roading to days AFTER a rain :eek:)

Thats not a bad idea!

I am thinking of installing a raised air intake (snorkel) to get the intake out of the majority of the "dust" zone. But a pre-filter like a square piece of foam over the stock filter may help!

Thanks!

Too bad that all light duty vehicles do not come equipped with filter restriction gauges from the factory to extend engine life and save owner's money. If you check any heavy duty filter manufacturer recommendations, you will find that filter restriction cannot be determined by sight. Here is a quote from a presentation in a 2001 Filtration Conference by Donaldson Company employees titled "Nanofibers in Filtration Applications in Transportation":

"Consumers must also make maintenance decisions about the air filters in their cars. This user group is relatively unsophisticated in their knowledge of filter maintenance and function. Air filters are perhaps the most easily serviced but least understood parts on a vehicle. Other common replacement parts on a vehicle such as tires, wiper blades, oil and oil filters work best when new. However this is NOT the case with conventional air filters. Since most air filters rely on the formation of a dust cake to improve the performance of a filter media, over-servicing can lead to dire consequence from inadequate engine protection.

Air filter over-servicing is common for light vehicles. Light vehicles are generally not equipped with filter restriction indicators. Air filters are often inspected by maintenance personnel during oil changes. In spite of the typical manufacturer's recommendation of at least a 30,000-mile change interval, it is common for dealers, service stations and quick lube businesses to recommend more frequent air filter changes. Given the frequency of oil changes and air filter replacements at quick lubes, it is expected many light vehicle air filters are changed much more frequently than manufacturer's recommend.
While this over-servicing phenomenon is frustrating to those who understand filter media performance, the filter industry has not sufficiently educated customers how air filters function. Not surprisingly, filter manufacturers, distributors, dealers, service stations, and quick lubes have economic incentives to change and sell more air filters. It is also understandable that consumers believe air filters work best when they are new (like other parts) and have a clean appearance.

In spite of the best intentions of automotive mechanics and consumers, typical automotive air filters are notably inefficient at capturing particles less than 5 microns in size. Several studies have shown that particles between 1 - 5 microns cause engine wear, which will lead to increased engine emissions and shorter engine life. Because many engine air filters are over-serviced, a typical automotive filter may operate for most of it's life without the protective benefits of a well-developed protective dust cake. As the filter becomes dirty by visual appearance (and the dust cake finally starts working) the filter is often exchanged."

From the pics it looks oily? What kind of conditions are you driving in?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Get a K&N air filter
27.gif
27.gif

Next UOA: Silicon levels +2000ppm

Originally Posted By: mcrn
From the pics it looks oily? What kind of conditions are you driving in?

We have been through abandoned coal mines, NJ Pine Barrens, and various other off-road conditions. Sand, mud, dirt, clay to name a few.

The filter was not oily. However there was some dried "mud" in spots. The opposit side of the filter (intake) side was clean so the filter definitely did its job!

11uvj1g.jpg

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Put a filter restriction gauge on it. You may be replacing them for no reason.

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: compratio10_5
Because many engine air filters are over-serviced, a typical automotive filter may operate for most of it's life without the protective benefits of a well-developed protective dust cake. As the filter becomes dirty by visual appearance (and the dust cake finally starts working) the filter is often exchanged."

Sounds like a good dusting of swimming pool filter diatomaceous earth on the new filter should help things!

I won't get a K&N filter again. The light oil in the filter and after you wash it eventually gets sucked onto the MAF sensor and sets a code that looks like running rich / lean bank 1 or 2, etc.....

Cleaning a MAF sensor can be tricky business, if done wrong it'll cost $300 to replace etc!

If the hot wire element is still a little bit wet with solution and the engine turned on it'll burn out as the controls overdrive the element! Ouch!

I appreciate everyone's input/ideas!

I think moving forward, due to the ease of access to the filter that we will run two filters. One for on road (racking up big miles) and one for off-road that can be blown out with compressed air from time to time.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture
I think moving forward, due to the ease of access to the filter that we will run two filters. One for on road (racking up big miles) and one for off-road that can be blown out with compressed air from time to time.

That would be problematic, to say the least.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
sounds right but where are the "scientific" tests that show it filters better with more miles on it?

They are all over. Many mechanical engineering departments have ran these tests thru the years. I'll see what I can find.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
sounds right but where are the "scientific" tests that show it filters better with more miles on it?

http://www.na.kccustomerportal.com/Docum...r%20Filters.pdf

I know there are better studies done, I just need to spend some time to find. Caking is why you should not be changing your filters near as often as you think....especially when it comes to your oil filter considering the ability of your oil pump to overcome the resistance to flow (within reason of course).

For off-road there is nothing better than converting to a Donaldson PowerCore. I have these on my pickups that deliver in dirt roads, one now with 400,000 miles, another with 350,000.

stacks-image-684752f.jpg

stacks-image-15a3ce8.jpg

Check out these videos

Ralley video

another rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back