Vegan Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of good info and opinions here.

SatinSilver, I'm not wanting to do this for romantic purposes, but for my health. You seem to be stuck on 50lbs, and I think 20-25 would be more than sufficient.

I can cut out ice cream and cookies, a good bit of meat, and fried foods. I do like cheese and would probably struggle to cut it out entirely. Bread is another thing I like too much. I haven't had enriched loaf bread in quite awhile, and I've replaced it with Publix bakery Italian. Fresher, perhaps not better.

If someone tells you that you have to follow a specific diet, look right at them and tell them they are an idiot.

You need to make a lifestyle change, not get suckered into some sort of wacko diet-of-the-month club. A little common sense will tell you to stay away from highly processed foods, fast foods and sweeteners. Find a balance that works for you; and along with that get lots of exercise and do things that put you into a positive frame of mind. Learn how to cook for yourself and learn how to cook healthy for yourself. Need to loose weight? Then do it with a combination of diet and exercise. Find healthy foods that give you the energy you need. Turn the idiot box off and go do something constructive. It's a journey, not a destination. Work on continuous self-improvement, and strive to do a little better each day with what you eat and what you do. Before you know it you'll be both physically and emotionally healthier.

Self discipline is also plays a big part of your lifestyle. You like cookies? Put them down and don't pick them back up. Substitute garbage food with things you know to be healthy. Need a snack? Eat a banana or an apple. Is watching TV your idea of a good time? Turn it off, get off the couch, go outside and do something constructive.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
some recommended videos from the above mentioned figures:

Well by golly, it's on youtube so it must be completely true!

Originally Posted By: Silk
I've been vegetarian for 40 years, and was vegan for many years. I got low on B12, and rather than resort to suppliments have been back on dairy for awhile.

If you are vegan and you don't take B12 supplements you will die. Its that simple.

but burgers and pizza are soooo good. Not to mention carne asada burritos.

I don't want to define myself by what I eat.

Underweight vegans are no more healthy than a normal weight meat-eater. Its a balance.
If you want/need to lose weight for health - try eating less and exercising more. I guarantee it will work and you'll be more healthy. No crazy diet. No book to read.

I've been on a primarily vegan diet for about 5 years now. My wife and I started in 2012. It wasn't for any ideological reasons, just we weren't feeling great, I noticed I had started gaining weight we and wanted to try something new. The movie "Forks Over Knives" was kind of eye opening for us. I don't know if it is all accurate, but the points they make in the movie made sense to us at the time so we went with it.

The difference for us was astounding so we've kept up with it for the most part. We aren't very strict though. We never cut eggs out of the diet because it is just one of our favorite foods and so versatile, but other than that it is only the occasional dairy or meat product (mostly at parties and holidays). Ultimately we try to keep our diary and meat intake under about 5% but its not like we actually count our food or anything. We don't stress it.

That all being said, I am totally satisfied with it. I feel a million times better than I did before I changed things. Little improvements like excessive snoring and acid re-flux just disappeared within the first month and have never returned. That initial "high" feeling in terms of physical and mental improvements faded a bit after the first year, but I still feel better now than I did previously.

For me it is extremely easy because I love just about every food there is. So I am able to eat a very varied and balanced diet while still avoiding meat and dairy. The people who claim you don't get enough protein on a plant based diet are just not eating well. If you eat a balanced diet, you'll get everything you need. Plenty of vegetables are loaded with protein not to mention beans and nuts.

I have maintained my weight for the last 5 years without any kind of extensive exercise routine. Occasional workouts/sports and bouts of running when the urge has struck me. I definitely have more strength and speed since 5 years ago and I still feel great physically. I'm definitely noticeably thinner and might appear "weaker" than before, but I assure you I am significantly stronger than I was previously.

I try to avoid vegan recipes and cookbooks but my wife likes them. I typically just make food without following a recipe though. When I do follow a recipe I usually just find one that works. If it is already vegan, great. If it is not vegan, I just make substitutes for whatever meat and dairy are in it with something else. A little creativity in the kitchen goes a long way if someone wants to go this route with regards to diet and cooking.

I'm the last person to preach that anyone else do as I have done. People will probably disagree with some of my comments, but all I am trying to do is share my own experience. It might not be the right thing for everyone but it has worked wonders for me.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Silk
I've been vegetarian for 40 years, and was vegan for many years. I got low on B12, and rather than resort to suppliments have been back on dairy for awhile.

If you are vegan and you don't take B12 supplements you will die. Its that simple.

Wellllll, it is a well known fact that everybody will die sooner or later, nobody makes it out alive. LOL.

On a more serious note, I have been vegan for about 15 years, no b12 supplements, and no b12 deficient either. I also have a friend that has been vegan from birth, now he is 31 years old. He has been tested a few years back and no b12 deficiency. I don't know how it works, but somehow we get the b12, weather we eat it or our bodies make it.

Like someone else mentioned, if you want to be healthy you have to look at this differently than a diet. Besides good plant based diet you need clean water, clean air, sunshine, exercise. If you just stop eating animal products and stuff yourself silly with all refined foods (everything white) you won't be doing good at all. Oh, and stay away from sugar, white, brown or any other forms, corn syrup, cane juice and all the other names that they disguise sugar in.

I agree with Mototribologist. We tried the vegan and vegetarian PROPER diets so protein wasn't an issue. It was more the lack of some minerals and natural vitamins that we were lacking. So we went back to FAR smaller portions of meat.

For the past month my spouse and I have tried cutting out all sugars and processed grains as well as dairy. We still consume eggs and meat and they seem to give the "fuller" feeling that we enjoyed with grains like rice, but without the bloating. We also took up home made potato pancakes and with hot sauce and a bit of fresh salsa, they are AMAZING!

For as far back as I can remember, I've had bad breath. It was the kind that you couldnt' smell yourself, but others could. Bless my spouse for staying with me thru those times.

Since starting this new way of eating, my bad breath and tonsil stones have disappeared. I also recall that my left lymph node was ALWAYS swollen, regardless if I was fighting a cold or allergies. No longer is it swollen and the taste in my mouth has disappeared. My spouse has mentioned that my breath has cleaned up totally and I no longer get gassy or feel bloated. My BO in general (acc to my spouse) has been nil (I've always been around 150lbs so it's not like I'm some obese fella who washes himself with a "rag on a stick"
lol.gif
).

Overall, it boils down to what works for YOU! The only way to get there is by trying out different diets given your time constraints, budget etc.

I agree with gasbuggy and buhwheat. Every vegan and or vegetarian I've ever seen looks emaciated and that they could shrivel up and blow away at any second. Anorexic looking dudes in skinny jeans and chicks with absolutely no boobs and booty with a boy body,and with sunken in faces. I just don't see how that can be healthy.

And like buhwheat said,human beings are carnivores by nature. We're designed to eat meat. If I eat a vegetable only lunch I feel lethargic all day. I require red meat to keep up my strength.

This is not by any means a slam against vegans or vegitarians in any way,it's only my personal observations and experiences.

Most people would do good to eat only from the perimeter of the grocery store. Avoiding all the processed food in boxes and cans in the middle would probably address 80% of obesity and other diet related issues.

Fruits, vegetables, meat, fish, eggs and dairy.

Avoid most breads and cereals, not to mention the soups, sauces, etc that are filled with processed sugars and other such things.

For most people, just tracking what you eat and then stopping when you've had enough for that day and you'll get to a healthy weight.

There are many apps that will let you do this. Tracking this has the effect of really showing you what you've had today and if it's enough, the app will tell you that you've consumed enough food today.

I think most people would be shocked if they accurately measured out what they eat.

Portion size matters.

If I eat a handful of processed sugary food vs a handful of fruits or vegetables, there is a difference in calories consumed.

Your stomach doesn't know the energy content of what you've consumed, just that you are full. So if you fill up with sugar dense food, you will likely gain weight.

Also, if you are eating junk, you won't be getting enough nutrients. Meaning your body still signals hunger. But if you have a Snickers bar, you probably are not addressing the real issue.

FWIW

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I agree with gasbuggy and buhwheat. Every vegan and or vegetarian I've ever seen looks emaciated and that they could shrivel up and blow away at any second. Anorexic looking dudes in skinny jeans and chicks with absolutely no boobs and booty with a boy body,and with sunken in faces. I just don't see how that can be healthy.

And like buhwheat said,human beings are carnivores by nature. We're designed to eat meat. If I eat a vegetable only lunch I feel lethargic all day. I require red meat to keep up my strength.

This is not by any means a slam against vegans or vegitarians in any way,it's only my personal observations and experiences.

Those are likely the people subsisting on Morningstar food-like substances and tofu everything. If you eat actual food sensibly, no matter what your diet, you'll look and feel fine.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Silk said:

Pernicious anemia...where the term red neck came from.

I saw an Aussie film called That Sugar Film a couple of days ago, that was a real eye opener, although I have cut most sugar out of my diet many years ago.

Originally Posted By: Red91

I do like cheese and would probably struggle to cut it out entirely. Bread is another thing I like too much.

Interestingly, cheese, in moderation has been shown to be slightly cardio protective.

Certain Japanese locations have residents with extremely long lifespans (they tend to eat a carb/animal protein balanced diet) . Yet when those folks move to America and change their lifestyle and gain weight they fall prey to the same diseases we do. It seems our calorie rich, high "processed carb" diets, coupled with low exercise do play a role in lifespan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Red91
Do any of our members eat a primarily vegan diet, and if so, how does it differ from a vegetarian diet? I've heard they are different. I'd like to start eating healthier and am open to recipes as well.

Make sure you have access to quality vegetables and fruits if you decide to try this out.

And take it slowly. I have been primarily vegetarian for a couple of years now (with the exception of the occasional falling off the wagon and eating beef). The biggest problem I have experienced is running low on B12 and iron which then made me crave meat. Tried vegan diet but I don't think I did it right because I got weak over time. Also I didn't like the substitutes for different products like cheese or eggs.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
If someone tells you that you have to follow a specific diet, look right at them and tell them they are an idiot.

You need to make a lifestyle change, not get suckered into some sort of wacko diet-of-the-month club. A little common sense will tell you to stay away from highly processed foods, fast foods and sweeteners. Find a balance that works for you; and along with that get lots of exercise and do things that put you into a positive frame of mind. Learn how to cook for yourself and learn how to cook healthy for yourself. Need to loose weight? Then do it with a combination of diet and exercise. Find healthy foods that give you the energy you need. Turn the idiot box off and go do something constructive. It's a journey, not a destination. Work on continuous self-improvement, and strive to do a little better each day with what you eat and what you do. Before you know it you'll be both physically and emotionally healthier.

Self discipline is also plays a big part of your lifestyle. You like cookies? Put them down and don't pick them back up. Substitute garbage food with things you know to be healthy. Need a snack? Eat a banana or an apple. Is watching TV your idea of a good time? Turn it off, get off the couch, go outside and do something constructive.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
some recommended videos from the above mentioned figures:

Well by golly, it's on youtube so it must be completely true!

no, just people that have been living this way for 30 some years and know what they're talking about. Take it or leave it.

Man evolved the way he did bc of diet. Eating more concentrated protein (meat) allowed the digestive system to get smaller and the brain to get larger. The brain and digestive system expend (in general) huge energy stores. So if the digestive system has to work harder for the body to get its energy it can rob the brain of needed energy supplies and muscles in general. Connect the dots folks..you can't fool mother nature.

We went "plant based" 5 years ago. We are not 100%, we get a pizza now and then. We did it because we wanted to loose weight. Not to mention we felt sluggish. Since the change we lost weight, feel great, no more afternoon crash. Our sleep has improved as well as general all round feeling better. Allergies are not an issue like they use to be.

What got us started was reading Engine 2 Diet . We tried the 28 day challenge and couldn't get over the difference on how we felt. Even our special needs daughter lost weight, which was a good thing and her doctor was super pleased.

The documentary Forks over Knives was very interesting. There have been several documentaries that have come out since then and if you have Netflix you can see pretty much all of them.

A new documentary just came out, What the Health we have not had time to watch it but have heard some about it and it sounds interesting. Mainly how $$$$ and big corporations just don't care about us, they just want the money.

I also listen to a few Podcasts, Rich Roll No Meat Athlete

Then there are the Vegan athletes, Brenden Brazier David Carter and Griff Whalen John Salley

There is Scott Jurek who just did the Appalachian Trail in record time.

Also James Lawrence who did 50 Iron distance triathlons in 50 states in 50 days. James Lawrence

I can go on and on. But as you can see being vegan or as I like to call it plant based is no longer a bad thing. To much out there in the way of good whole food that one can enjoy and thrive on.

We also subscribed to the Happy Herbivore meal plans. Got 365 meals and not one was a repeat. A few were not that great but most of them were really good and easy to make. Happy Herbivore

Again, for us it just works and it doesn't hurt that my wife loves to cook and make all the meals. I got the easy part. I just eat and do the clean up. Oh which is another thing. Clean up is super easy now that you don't have all that nasty grease to deal with.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I read a few books and tried but never felt 100% the short time I was a vegan. The best blood type to be a vegan is supposedly type A. I have blood type A- and still didn't feel right.

Man was meant to consume meat in moderation. I know too many people "vegans" who take supplements to make of the lost nutrients.Those are no good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back