Mazda CX-7 tail light issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor has a 2011 Mazda CX-7 SUV, I was behind them and noticed their tail lights were no longer red but were clear and incredibly hard to see I brought it to their attention and in looking at the issue, it looks like Mazda chose a bad design by using a clear tail light housing with a red plastic capsule that the bulb goes in. The bulb has melted the housing to where it no longer lights up red and that also smoked up the inside of the tail light assembly. They took their car to Mazda and they wont do anything about it. Outside of replacing the tail lights, are there any options that I could help them pursue? The only options I could think of would be to put lens tape on the inside of the light capsule to cover the burn through and convert to LED lighting or I also saw at WalMart a can of translucent red lens paint to paint the entire assembly red. Any advice would be appreciated, my neighbors are elderly and I don't think its safe for them to be driving with the tail lights the way they are.

Ive looked at eBay, all the ones removed from a vehicle all have the same issue as theirs. The only option is $680 for a set of factory style aftermarket styles but that's well outside of what these folks can afford. They are just looking to get it fixed and cost as little as possible. Ill give a red LED a try first and see what happens!

bake the assemblies like you would a headlight, pull apart and remove the damaged plastic. Order "red gel" which is not a gel but high-temp colored plastic used in theater lighting (think rock concert), cut it to fit and make somethink work with that.

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-12-Inches-...eywords=red+gel

I'd do that before trying LEDs. Unless you can find a reputable LED maker, like philips, the junk we see for sale won't do both brigthnesses right, or get the right aim/distribution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back