Chevron article re: bypass and centrifugal filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disbelieve that, but re "Moreover, on a number of key metrics, including viscosity control, total acid number (TAN) resistance, iron, aluminum and bearing wear control – we found no significant measurable difference in performance between the two groups of trucks up to 600 service hours during the testing program period. "

I wouldn't expect any difference in viscosity control or total acid number (TAN) resistance resulting from filtration.

Iron, aluminium and bearing wear control maybe.

Contrast that Chevron article with this article from Machinery Lubrication:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29426/purifying-engine-oil

"First, you shouldn't allow oil suppliers to conduct the analysis and tell you when to change the oil. It is in their best interest for you to perform more frequent oil changes than may be required. Instead, use an independent lab test and change the oil based on the results. You may find that you are able to get more life from the oil. Remember, world-class lubrication programs use a condition-based approach rather than a time-based approach for lubricant change-outs."

Who wants to sell you what?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
An interesting article worth a read.

Chevron Article
Remember, too, that this study was performed using Cummins NATURAL GAS engines-which will have a lot less soot & carbon buildup than a diesel, or even a gas engine. There have been documented examples (here on BITOG) of people running 5 or 10X recommended intervals, with bypass filtration on Amsoil (and other top synthetics) with good results. Results that wouldn't be possible without bypass filtration.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd like to see the results in a gas and diesel engine as well.

+1 LPG doesn't make dirt as diesel, for the diesel engine used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back