Microgard/Napa ProSelect filters for 99 Ford 4.6 ohc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last oil change (first since getting it) I used Motorcraft filter but I got for free one of each of these filters. I think the Microgard and Napa Proselect are identical minus the branding on the box. Is it ok to use this filter? I do 5k oci with O'Reilly brand full syn 5w-30. Thanks!

Last edited:
Should do just fine. But if your running full syn might want to extend your oci. I was doing a 5k oci on the Vic and syn blend kendall and a FL 820. My oil was dirty but still quite serviceable. Going to go 7.5k oci on pphm 5w30 and a Pronto extended drain filter I got from rock auto

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
No the filters aren't the same but they will be fine for your interval

Everything I have seen shows the O'Reilly Microguard (made by Wix), NAPA ProSelect (made by Wix) and even the Walmart Supertech (made by Wix) to be almost identical except for the paint on the can.

Thanks guys, yeah they should be one and the same filter from what I can tell. Should I just cut them open to check in the name of science and get me another Motorcraft for next time? While I'd love to save money as it's tight right now I also want to make sure I don't damage my engine.

I do 5k on full synthetic because I get it cheap from work and because I do a lot of stop and go driving and also some agressive driving and I figured that would be good.

Last edited:
Which filter? What motor?
Many models use a combo ADV/Bypass valve that some don't like.
While I am not crazy about it the combo valve, it is not enough to keep me from using one (using a ST2 with combo valve on the truck right now).

Some also gripe about the poor filtration ratings (don't remember exact numbers off hand), but they are better ratings than most OEM.

Regardless, for 5000 miles, you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Thanks guys, yeah they should be one and the same filter from what I can tell. Should I just cut them open to check in the name of science and get me another Motorcraft for next time? While I'd love to save money as it's tight right now I also want to make sure I don't damage my engine.

I do 5k on full synthetic because I get it cheap from work and because I do a lot of stop and go driving and also some agressive driving and I figured that would be good.

Oh I thought you meant that the Motorcraft was the same as the Wix made filters.

In regards to the original question now that I understand it, even though they look identical in construction they might have different efficiency figures based on whatever the buyer wants.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

In regards to the original question now that I understand it, even though they look identical in construction they might have different efficiency figures based on whatever the buyer wants.

Yeah, that is why I said almost identical, since I can't see filtration differences.
ST has it on the box 95% @ 29 microns, same for Microgard, not sure about Pro Select (but would dare say the same).

And dogememe, disregard my question, I forgot you have the modular 4.6.
Same filter that is on my 5.4 (Supertech ST2, Microgard 51372/ProSelect 1372), which use the combo valve.
But still, no issue using the filters you have for 5000 miles (about the max for these filters though).

They will work-but don't be surprised if you get timing chain rattle & other startup noises before you make it to 5K-that was my experience on my '03 4.6 MGM-mine really does better with a silicone ADBV filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They will work-but don't be surprised if you get timing chain rattle & other startup noises before you make it to 5K-that was my experience on my '03 4.6 MGM-mine really does better with a silicone ADBV filter.

My 5.4 is quieter with the ST2 than with Motorcraft 820S and Car Quest Red (Fram made).
I am using a different oil though (Havoline HM 5w-20 now, was Valvoline NextGen 5w-20), so not sure if it is the filter or oil.

Let me list all my options and prices. Let em know what you think
smile.gif

Microgard 1.96, Wix 4.92, wix XP 5.89, Bosch 4.40, mobil1 7.05, kn 9.78, Motorcraft 3.15, Royal purple 10.03

^^^ I would use the NAPA ProSelect and Microgard filters you got for free.

But if you have already decided to buy a different filter, then out of your listed filters I would choose WIX / NAPA Gold.

Ok, and I guess I should stick to the 5k oci with the cheap filters? If I get a better filter should I try like 6k/7k or something?

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Ok, and I guess I should stick to the 5k oci with the cheap filters? If I get a better filter should I try like 6k/7k or something?

I was just saying to use the Microgard/NAPA ProSelect filters since you already have them (I believe your original post said that you got one of each of these for free, unless I misunderstood what you said). WIX or NAPA Gold are better filters of course, and after you use up your free filters, I would choose WIX/NAPA Gold filters out of the ones you had listed in your post. And I would just stay with the 5000 mile OCI you have been doing up to this point.

Right, I gotcha. I do have those filters on hand but I can't return them as they were given to me.

Are the cheapy ones ok for 5k?

Also I guess I'm trying to understand if wix is better than Motorcraft?

Last edited:
The Motorcraft 820S is made by Purolator, and there have been some issues in the past few years with the media tearing in them (the 820S seems to be a problem filter, not sure if it is just more of them cut open or if a design issue).
I would (and did) choose a Wix made ST filter over a Motorcraft 820S filter.

As said, use the free filters as planned, they will be fine.
For future purchases, if you can get the Wix for 4.92, I would use that all the time. Quality filter that is good for up to 10,000 miles.

Overall, as another member here say all the time, oil filtration is not near as important as air filtration (sorry, just can't think of who says it all the time). So long as there is no filter failure (media tears or bypass valve malfunction), most any filter will do what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back