Adding desiccant silica gel to the coolant ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that Mercedes sells (or used to sell) some silica packs that are very similar, if not the same as the small desiccant silica gel packs you get in some packages. I believe Mercedes used these to boost or refresh the silica level in their antifreeze because it may get depleted over time. That is about all that I remember.

Does anyone know more about this and can further explain how the silica gel works in the coolant and what Mercedes believed was the benefit of using it?

I was not able to find anything about it from searching but I'm sure my memory is correct.

But nothing Like Calcium chloride in water (most common flakes dissecant). It would make the fluid very salty and corrosive

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I found a ton of stuff searching for it. I just can't believe that is a good idea but...

I'd assume they have some sort of a reason, but I can't see it, either. Sprinkling a bit of desiccant in a system that holds several litres of liquid that is about 50% water seems rather futile, not to mention pointless, like wiping down a wet elephant with a square of toilet paper.

Whatever they figured out, it's working.

What's interesting is that it's every 15 years or 150k miles even for the second and subsequent changes.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Is it supposed to be some way of replenishing silicates or something? Your guess is as good as mine.

I thought all good coolants were silicate free these days?

I'm not totally sure. I know most are at least reduced, and some are silicate free, but I never remember which are which off the top of my head.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back