beef not from steers

Status
Not open for further replies.
When eating some chuck over this weekend I got to thinking what a steer was-so I looked into my dictionary.

I was appalled that the beef I have been eating all these years could have been missing parts of its body for a long time before it was sent to be slaughtered. I am not at all happy with this.

Is there a way to tell if the beef one purchases for consumption is 'compromised' in this way?

Please don't come in this thread saying it is saner, safer, cheaper or whatever-I don't want to hear it.

Does the USDA even care about this? I am not farmer, but when you go to eat venison from a deer- the hunter doesn't first tranquilize it, castrate it, then take it to be slaughtered. Why do our cows have to be treated in such a way? Is it the bean counters or a way to padd the bottom line for someone.

Meat from a steer just has the same ring to it as fat-free milk or dairy-free milk. Doesn't it?

It is pretty sad if someone or something has gotten to the United States Dept. of Agriculture.

Sincerely,
Joseph

Don't research how you get your gallon of milk everyday then.

Steers are the least of the issues...

How many boy chickens are hatched versus how many boy chickens make it to KFC ?

Cows are female.

Bulls are male.

A castrated young bull is a steer, and fully-grown is known as an ox. They castrate young bulls intended for food or work to make them more docile. Makes for tastier meat and more compliant workers.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. The vegetarian lifestyle is well-supported by your local grocer and restaurants.

You can sure tell who here has never spent a minute on a farm.

You do realize that bulls are castrated primarily for their own safety-a bull with raging hormones will tear up fences, buildings, people, and other cattle. A steer will also out-gain a bull once the hormones are under control. Steers have a much calmer, easier life-unless it's kept as breeding stock it's much safer for all involved to castrate young bulls. There is a debate about the quality of meat; bulls tend to be leaner, and in some cases tougher than steers.

I assume you also know that the same thing is done on horses (geldings), goats (wethers), and hogs (barrows), for the same reason it's done on cattle. And I'll also assume you know that it's a practice that has taken place in animal husbandry for centuries.

Imagine how perturbed you'll become once you find out that some of those same cattle are also dehorned before you eat them.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Cows are female.

Bulls are male.

A castrated young bull is a steer, and fully-grown is known as an ox.

Not quite. Either gender can be considered oxen. It's just a term for cattle that have been trained to be oxen, usually cattle that are larger, stronger and easier to train. They also let the horns grow to keep the yoke from coming off when they back up.

The only time they are considered to be oxen is when they're trained as a draft animal. Some breeds do much better as oxen than others-you wouldn't want to use a polled breed as oxen for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Please don't come in this thread saying it is saner, safer, cheaper or whatever-I don't want to hear it.

Does the USDA even care about this?

Sorry, I forgot about your predisposition...

If you are planning on turning your hamburger into a burnt offering, then Yes, Leviticus DOES state that it can't be neutered, nor have damaged testicles.

Guess you better pick a different offering.

Cows are female.

Bulls are male.

A castrated young bull is a steer, and fully-grown is known as an ox. They castrate young bulls intended for food or work to make them more docile. Makes for tastier meat and more compliant workers.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. The vegetarian lifestyle is well-supported by your local grocer and restaurants.

So a buck isn't a deer?

Wow, it is like my entire ignore list popped up to partake in this thread. You'll be on it now too! Congrats.

OK Joseph, when you said "someone or something" has gotten to USDA, you were clearly referencing something, weren't you ?

Let the viewing public know what you were ACTUALLY referring to for a change rather than the standard obfuscating statement followed by righteous indignation...

BTW, happy first Sunday after the Full Moon that follows the Equinox...I'm having bacon.

Hey, might as well throw in my...

Beef Beeyatches:

"Grass-fed" being marketed as something special. This is usually Mexican beef where they can't afford to corn-feed. And, NO, it doesn't taste as good.

"Prime" steakhouses charging $60/steak but slipping choice in there to increase profits.

"Angus" being marketed as something more than the choice that it is.

Other than that, I'll take mine medium-rare.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Cows are female.

Bulls are male.

Not quite. Either gender can be considered oxen. It's just a term for cattle that have been trained to be oxen, usually cattle that are larger, stronger and easier to train. They also let the horns grow to keep the yoke from coming off when they back up.

The only time they are considered to be oxen is when they're trained as a draft animal. Some breeds do much better as oxen than others-you wouldn't want to use a polled breed as oxen for obvious reasons.

Thanks Pop! Makes sense.

And Mrjoekingslowcamarowhatever, feel free to ignore me. My world will keep spinning, and with a BBQ loaded with fresh steer!

Originally Posted By: Shannow

How many boy chickens are hatched versus how many boy chickens make it to KFC ?

You do realize that bulls are castrated primarily for their own safety-a bull with raging hormones will tear up fences, buildings, people, and other cattle. A steer will also out-gain a bull once the hormones are under control. Steers have a much calmer, easier life-unless it's kept as breeding stock it's much safer for all involved to castrate young bulls. There is a debate about the quality of meat; bulls tend to be leaner, and in some cases tougher than steers.

I assume you also know that the same thing is done on horses (geldings), goats (wethers), and hogs (barrows), for the same reason it's done on cattle. And I'll also assume you know that it's a practice that has taken place in animal husbandry for centuries.

Just to add one more to the list: rooster (capon). Also done for the same reason.

Imagine how perturbed you'll become once you find out that some of those same cattle are also dehorned before you eat them.

Cows are female.

Bulls are male.

This. Great answer Pop.

All our bulls were castrated ( we banded ours) except one for breeding, i had to chase him all over the place. My job as a boy growing up was mending fences , feeding, getting up hay, and growing field corn for grain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
When eating some chuck over this weekend I got to thinking what a steer was-so I looked into my dictionary.

I was appalled that the beef I have been eating all these years could have been missing parts of its body for a long time before it was sent to be slaughtered. I am not at all happy with this.

I fully realize this will probably get me on your ignore list, but... You've got to be kidding.

Wow.

Did you really think you'd be able to post something like this and not get feedback that different from your feelings?Pop Rivet is right. Don't look into what they do to baby roosters (baby male chickens). Looks like you better go vegan. Just means more for the rest of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back