Ferrari F355 oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: f355spider
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I thought Ferrari recommended Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 for all cars driven on the street now, and 10W60 for track use?

I think it is hard to generalize. Probably for most Ferraris, but there are certainly model specific exceptions.

According to this bulletin from Ferrari, it applies to all models.

"These products can be utilised on ALL earlier Ferrari models"

Last edited:
That's only because Ferrari are married to Shell.You are free to use any oil that meets the specs that Ferrari call for,which is also the case for any other car manufacturer.Shell now recommend 0w40 over 5w40 for 'normal' driving conditions.

Originally Posted By: Ether
That's only because Ferrari are married to Shell.You are free to use any oil that meets the specs that Ferrari call for,which is also the case for any other car manufacturer.Shell now recommend 0w40 over 5w40 for 'normal' driving conditions.

That was in response to 355spyder who said that it can not apply to all models. Ferrari seems to think it does.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: Ether

That was in response to 355spyder who said that it can not apply to all models. Ferrari seems to think it does.

That document is 20 years old. Ferrari has published many bulletins since the one you found. Certain cars, for example the Enzo (made after 1996
wink.gif
) require 10w-60...I'm sure the LaFerrari, 599 GTO and others have their own specific requirements.

BTW, don't use a "y" in spider...only Mitsubishi does that, lol
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: f355spider
Originally Posted By: KenO
FWIW - directly from the service manual:

Agip Sint 2000 SAE 10W-40

KenO, if this is true, it is no longer the case. It may have been spec'd when the F355 first came out in mid/late 1994 launch (as a 1995 model), but Ferrari fully endorsed Shell by 1995, so only the earliest of F355s would have received AGIP as the factory fill. You would be hard pressed to find AGIP oils in a Ferrari dealer today... (I actually have a copy of the factory workshop manual on CD rom and never noticed the AGIP reference...I will have to take a look sometime ;))

This car is a '95, I'm not positive on the build date. The service manual I have says 1994. And in typical Ferrari fashion, the wiring diagrams are wrong I've come to find
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back