Under valve cover pics 327,720 mile Toyota 22RE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the valve cover off the 4Runner for a routine valve adjustment so I took a few pictures. This engine has used conventional oil almost exclusively it's entire life mostly at 3,000 mile intervals. Last 2 oil changes were 5,000 miles on a home brew synthetic blend. Current fill is VWB SAE30.

Enjoy!

So, you've changed the oil a lot, 109 times!
You could have 2 engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OPR4H
So, you've changed the oil a lot, 109 times!

Previous owner since new to 255,150 miles had it serviced at the dealership every 3k. I've serviced it myself since so I can't take credit for all of the oil changes.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
How many timing chains have you had to replace?

It's had 2 so far. First one at 190,000 and another by me @ 277,500.

Pulling the block for routine service is normal in the 4Runner?
eek.gif

Looks good otherwise. Whats the plan, take her to 500k?

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Nice! 3k on dino = clean for sure.

I'm curious if it would have made it this far doing 6 or 7k intervals instead of 3k. I'm sure it would still look this clean regardless though. I have an old exmark 21" mower 1300hrs, you wouldn't know if it had 1300 or 130 looking under the valve cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Nice! 3k on dino = clean for sure.

I'm curious if it would have made it this far doing 6 or 7k intervals instead of 3k. I'm sure it would still look this clean regardless though. I have an old exmark 21" mower 1300hrs, you wouldn't know if it had 1300 or 130 looking under the valve cover.

Good question....depends on driving habits I guess....

I have had 3 trucks with the 22R since 1982. The first ran to over 500k miles (on 1 duplex timing chain) The truck was given away, still running well.

The second was an 89 that I sold at 320k miles (the body was starting to rust badly)

My latest is an 84, at 100k miles. I consider it broken in :)

* I have adjusted klms for miles

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
That looks great.

You pulled the engine for valve adjustment? What else are you doing to it at this time?

I was wondering when someone would notice the pictures were taken on my garage floor.

The engine had to come out to fix a stripped exhaust stud that wasn't accessible in the truck. My options were to pull the cylinder head or pull the engine. I chose to pull the engine.

While it was out I changed valve cover gasket, fuel filter (mounted on the side of the block and a huge pain to change in the truck) adjusted valve lash and some other trinket stuff seals spark plugs etc.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are you using the metal chain runners or plastic?

The current timing set has the metal backed left guide. The previous timing set did not, it wasn't broken when I replaced it. The current metal backed kit that is in the truck will need to be replaced due to the tensioner before anything else, I noticed that the wear shoe on the tensioner has worn quite a bit already. I suspect it will need replacement in another 40-50k.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
What do you do to put those miles on and what year is this 4runner?

The 4Runner is a 1987 model. I just use it as my daily driver to the tune of about 15,000 miles per year.

My grandparents had an 89 Toyota pickup with the 22RE. It had 297k when the rear end went bad and the truck was so rusty it was about to break in half!
Never did anything to the engine other than a valve cover gasket and spark plugs. Got 3k conventional oil changes, usualy Mobil or Valvoline.
Ran fine at 297k when we got rid of it and never had anything done to the timing chain!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back