Worn excavator, thickest molly grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm sure it has been covered some where on this site, just can't seem to find it.

I have two excavators
Old 2650 linkbelt 15k+hrs. And
Bobcat 435 mini 4k+hrs
Both have quite a bit of slop in all the joints, especially bucket pivot pins and stick pivots, and there used just for personal use around the house in a small rock pit.
I feed them chevron EP 2% molly every 4/6 hrs or sooner if I'm breaking out hard pit run. It seems to weep out of the worn joints verry quickly.
I'm looking to purchase a few cases of grease and would like a recommendation for a thick extreme pressure grease with molly that is as thick as possible for my worn excavators.
I see alot of recommendations for the shaffers 221 #2, but I'm not sure if it's thick enough, contains molly, or rated for EP.

Any input or links are greatly appreciated.

Schaeffer #238: http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/123-238-td.pdf

http://a.co/fMGRQfx

That's the Amazon link: $7.79/tube delivered with free shipping (if order total exceeds $25 for Prime members, $35 if you're not).

"Ultra Supreme also has superior cohesive and adhesive properties. Because of these cohesive and adhesive properties, Ultra Supreme will not wash out, pound out, splatter or squeeze out even under the heaviest loads or vibrations. Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties Ultra Supreme is not recommended for use in passenger car automotive wheel bearing and electric motor bearing."

The 3 products most often discussed here for extreme duty seem to be Schaeffer 238, Amsoil Polymetric Off Road, and CAT Extreme Application-Desert (formerly desert gold). The Schaeffer is Aluminum complex and the other 2 are calcium sulfonate. The Schaeffer is available in a thicker #3 grade while the other 2 boast much better water washout.

Search:.... 5% moly grease site:www.bobistheoilguy.com for discussions.

There are also 5% moly lithium complex greases (Amsoil, Chevron, and probably many others).

It sounds like you pin sleeve may be cracked, a fairly common occurrence in Bobcats.

No amount of grease will fix that.

Consider replacing the pin/sleeve assembly now for $200 now rather than kick the can down the road and cope with multi $k repairs in a short bit.

Thanks drroughnec, haven't had the bobcat apart but have had the boom apart on the linkbelt to weld cracks. No broken bushings. Just 15,000hrs of hard rock digging wear. Hopefully I can extend my greasing intervals to 8hrs with #3.
I'm well aware of its wear, hopefully some day I can convince my "financial advisor" I need a new CAT 320E.... honey can I have $340k for a new hoe.

Originally Posted By: Jddan
Everybody give up on trc?

Their 880 C&C is still one of the best.

I'd like to hear what the OP thinks of that 238 No. 3

Does anybody know if there is any store anywhere that I could walk into and buy one or two tubes of The Schaeffer 238 #3 without having to pay $14 to 15 per tube like on line. I really don't need 5 or 10 tubes, as 1 or 2 will probably last me forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back