98 corolla canister purge valve acting crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all again here at BITOG! past week, i heard a knocking noise ooming from engine. it only does it when the car is driving. sometimes loud, sometimes not. IT dsnt do it when in park. i was able too hear the noise, when e brake applied only so popped the hood...
ontop the engine, is the evap canister purge and and vent valves.the purge valve, was bouncing up and down...shaking. i tied it down with as little polytwine...lol. however its still making knocking sounds while driving.
so....is the problem...the EVAP canister itself under the car? the purge vale orvent valve/. all 3?
looking too dothis cheaply...try and narrow down the likely ori fact culprits here....
THanks all

Usually they are clipped to something or bolted down. Any loose part on top of the engine is going to rattle around. Has nothing to do with the function of the part.

Last edited:
I know that! What i wanna know, what would be the culprit or culprits here,,,,need too replace. the purge, vent valve, the EVAP canister or all 3?
i belibe theline goingtoothe canister does shake so i have a feeling the canister is shot..but it could be because the purge valve shakes...hard too tell which it is...canister or purge valve. both could cause line shaking.
i never filledmy tank filler neckso gasshot out..but have filled a dollar or so over when the fuel pump when pumping gas shut off. could thathave done something? squeezingthat extra dollar in...

Is the CEL on and do you have EVAP-related codes? A Toyota of that era was between a standard EVAP system and transitioning over to one with on-board refueling vapor recovery, but there should be a ECM-controlled vacuum switching valve near the intake manifold or airbox and some noises from it are normal as it's switched on and off by the ECM.

You can replace it if the noise is bugging you, but I wouldn't bother unless you have codes and/or you failed a smog check during the OBD/visual inspection.

NO cel is going off on my dash. its the purge solenoid valve bouncing all over the place, like it has lost control, but tied it down with polytwine..the line too evap canister is shaking. but dunno if its due too the purge, vent valve also their near manifold, or the evap canister itself.

so....anyone know? vent, purge solenoid valve, the EVAP canister, all ? im leaning too replace the purge solenoid valve, sinceits the only component that is jumping n knocking despite it tied down...
interesting thing thoug...i do ALOT of stop n go traffic. alot...unavoidable. yesterday, i got tjhe car over 60 tooo 65 moh for a good amount of time. i gained mielage nadsaved alot in fuel! i already put 170 miles on the car. since fillup last week. i should be at quarter of a tank, i am just below half:) cleaned alot of [censored] out im sure....

It would be the purge valve. I would guess the solenoid action is causing it. No codes I would not worry about it.

My Accent had one go bad last summer, the symptoms were a long cranking after a fuel fill. It would stick open and lean the engine out.

ihad wwonderd if perhaps maybe the linegoingfrom evap canister too purge valve wasplugged up?might find time monday am look at it....
the purge valveonly shakes outta control, minutes after driving, and only in idle...never while driving. drivingitacts normal. its at lights oopark it goes crazy

i'm having a hard time visualizing the solenoid shaking out of control.

Clip it down in place with the appropriate mounts it is designed to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back