Mobil 1 vs Mobil 1 EP for short drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious to y'all's opinions on this. Let's say I run a 5k oci and I wanted to run a Mobil syn. In the case of 5k, does the M1EP "protect" better? The reason I ask is that they are the same price on amazon and walmart. I know, it's a waste to drain these oils at 5k, but in terms of someone being in warranty, and they want to run a synthetic, what would be the benefits for M1 or M1EP for that drain interval. I am not asking for an oil recommendation, just want to compare these 2 for short oci's.

It would be a waste to run either M1 or EP at 5k intervals IF your application can go longer. If you're going to change oil that frequently, get Supertech at WM for the 5k. Save your money.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Curious to y'all's opinions on this. Let's say I run a 5k oci and I wanted to run a Mobil syn. In the case of 5k, does the M1EP "protect" better? The reason I ask is that they are the same price on amazon and walmart. I know, it's a waste to drain these oils at 5k, but in terms of someone being in warranty, and they want to run a synthetic, what would be the benefits for M1 or M1EP for that drain interval. I am not asking for an oil recommendation, just want to compare these 2 for short oci's.

At 5K, no one will not really protect better than the other. M1EP will protect better on OCI over 10k. However, if price was the same, Id opt for the M1EP just because, its supposed to be a better oil and run it 6-7.5K. Is it needed, no, but will it make you feel better, probably.

For some odd reason in my previous experiences the regular M1 was getting dark a lot quicker than M1EP over the 5k oci. Do not know if that means that it cleans better over the short period, or if the additives just react the temperatures a lot quicker in terms of oil color. Between the two I would run M1EP. But since you said M1 synthetic - I am going to offer the M1HM in the manufacturer recommended grade. It absolutely will not hurt the new engines with less than 75k on it, but it does pack a few more cleaning and wear protection additives than regular M1. Would be a great candidate as an M1 synthetic for a 5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
It would be a waste to run either M1 or EP at 5k intervals IF your application can go longer. If you're going to change oil that frequently, get Supertech at WM for the 5k. Save your money.

This is not what I was asking. I understand it's a waste, but for those that run warranty oci's and want to run a Mobil oil, I wanted to see what the consensus was since they are both the same price.

In this case you are not running either oil to its potential and since the price is the same, go with the better of the two.

I'd run the EP for the simple reason that there are times when life gets in the way of perfect OCI scheduling and you have to let things go longer than you'd like. And trust me, life does get in the way at times....

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

This is not what I was asking. I understand it's a waste, but for those that run warranty oci's and want to run a Mobil oil, I wanted to see what the consensus was since they are both the same price.

Reg M1 oils are outstanding, even if you wanted to go to 10K +.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I'd run the EP for the simple reason that there are times when life gets in the way of perfect OCI scheduling and you have to let things go longer than you'd like. And trust me, life does get in the way at times....

I hate when this happens :-(

Most EP /LL oils will fare WOSRE over short intervals.
Better with a LOW detergent oil.

> Protect what?, from someone steeling your lawn furniture?

Both will do about the same
smile.gif

For short oci, i will choose m1 afe rather than m1 and ep. It has more moly that is useful to protect better and lower fuel consumed. M1 ep for whatever reason doesnt seems hold well the viscosity on high rev usage and m1 silver cap bottle seems oxidized turns dark fast.

Technically, Mobil Super would qualify for your needs too! It might be cheaper, and definitely more than adequate for a 5k OCI.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
For short oci, I will choose m1 afe rather than m1 and ep. It has more moly that is useful to protect better and lower fuel consumed. M1 ep for whatever reason doesn't seems hold well the viscosity on high rev usage and m1 silver cap bottle seems oxidized turns dark fast.

Alas, you can't get a gold cap now unless you shell out about $50 for M1 Annual Protection. They moved their gold cap from M1EP to M1AP when M1AP came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back