2012 Accord PPPP 0w20 UOA metal flakes in oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had this UOA completed after finding metal flakes in the drain pan. I still haven't confirmed if the flakes were from the Accord or the Tundra. The oil had 6 months on it and I change every 5k or 6 months regardless.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I doubt your engine is dying and only providing large pieces of metal, a UOA probably would have picked at least something up.

I had planned on changing the oil only (no filter) again in 1000 miles. If it is shedding metal, is 1000 miles enough time to accumulate enough to see in the drain pan?

Yeah, I would see what happens after 1k miles. I would also strain the oil as it come out with a woman's nylon stocking. See what you catch, that will take the guess work out of trying to figure out what is in the pan.

I like that idea that SF0059 mentioned using a nylon stocking to strain the oil. A magnet would quickly tell if the flakes were iron/steel or aluminum.

It is interesting that there have been a few mentions here recently of posters with metal flakes in their oil or their oil filter.

What if, there's not enough metal left to see?
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I had planned on changing the oil only (no filter) again in 1000 miles. If it is shedding metal, is 1000 miles enough time to accumulate enough to see in the drain pan?

I don't think 1,000 miles is long enough. Aside from an engine tear down and visual inspection of parts what else can you do if you see metal flakes? If you don't plan on tearing the engine down, I think I'd stick to your normal OCI and do another visual oil inspection and a UOA at the end of it.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd wait longer to let it accumulate. I'd think 3,000 would be enough.

That's a full OCI

On PP?!? What a waste.

I get that the OP is antsy to pull a sample and see. But it may. E nothing and thus a waste. Big particles will settle faster. Its possible to just pull a sample part way.

But if metal particles are the question, doing a how without particle count is not worth much.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's a full OCI

On PP?!? What a waste.

I get that the OP is antsy to pull a sample and see. But it may. E nothing and thus a waste. Big particles will settle faster. Its possible to just pull a sample part way.

But if metal particles are the question, doing a how without particle count is not worth much.

As I mentioned earlier I change the oil every 6 months or 5K miles regardless. I hit 6 months and only had 3500 miles so out it went. It is worth spending $22 every 6 months to keep fresh oil in the sump. To each their own!

Maybe I am ignorant here but one would think big particles would get ground down to smaller particles in an engine to be readable?

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Maybe I am ignorant here but one would think big particles would get ground down to smaller particles in an engine to be readable?

Silica particles maybe but I doubt metal ones would.

#'s look great IMO - doubtful any metal flakes are coming from the Honda. With PP, a conservative OCI would be 6k miles, ignore time - just keep it topped off.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Big particles would either settle and remain in stagnant areas of the sump, or be caught in the filter. The filter should be as/more telling than the drained oil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That's a full OCI

On PP?!? What a waste.

As I mentioned earlier I change the oil every 6 months or 5K miles regardless. I hit 6 months and only had 3500 miles so out it went. It is worth spending $22 every 6 months to keep fresh oil in the sump. To each their own!

No, I misread as if 3000 was a full OCI. I stand by the rest of the comments.

The engine is in pre catastrophic failure state, but the uoa is fine, so ... a non issue!
cry.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back