Remote Start recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've thought about getting a remote start for my Sonata. Summers are killer here in Phoenix and it's been summer for over a month already. I'd like to start it 10 minutes before I leave to cool it down. It's parked in the sun since my Jeep gets the garage.

Any remote start systems you guys recommend? Any of them easy to install or is it going to be wire splice city? If it's that way I won't do it. I'd also prefer not to spend an arm and a leg.

There are one and two way. A two way received info from the car, like the interior temp. Some can use a smart phone as a remote.

You will want it professionally installed.

FYI ... Apparently Hyundai may void their warranty if a remote is installed. Maybe things have changed but my wife's 2007 Entourage was in for service once and I asked the service adviser about it and was told any issues deemed the possible fault of the remote starter will void the warranty. Hyundai should just pu one into their cars!

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
I asked the service adviser about it and was told any issues deemed the possible fault of the remote starter will void the warranty. Hyundai should just pu one into their cars!

I bet if "they" put it in the warranty would be good.

They might even farm it out to the stereo shop across town, taking their cut, of course.

Many of the high end remote starter packages do NOT include instructions. Only the professional installers can get the instructions. Or easily get instructions.

FYI ... Apparently Hyundai may void their warranty if a remote is installed. Maybe things have changed but my wife's 2007 Entourage was in for service once and I asked the service adviser about it and was told any issues deemed the possible fault of the remote starter will void the warranty. Hyundai should just pu one into their cars!
I bought it used, so it's out of the bumper to bumper warranty. Only 3,750 miles left in the powertrain warranty.

I presently have three vehicles with aftermarket remote starters. I have owned three other vehicles that have had them. All have been Prestige by Audiovox. Only issue that I have ever had with any of them was replacing a remote battery in one after ten years.
The dealership where I bought my Accord not only recommends the aftermarket starter but installs it vs. the Honda remote start. Installation is critical, you want someone who has done many of them successfully. Ask around your area for referrals.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I asked the service adviser about it and was told any issues deemed the possible fault of the remote starter will void the warranty. Hyundai should just pu one into their cars!

I bet if "they" put it in the warranty would be good.

They might even farm it out to the stereo shop across town, taking their cut, of course.

At the time they could recommend an installer but didn't install them. I asked if I went to where they recommended would the warranty be intact, again they said it wouldn't if it was deemed a possible cause.

I negotiated a free remote start when I bought my Camry. Had to bring it back a week later for the installation. The dealership has a 3rd party install them. It's programmed into my factory key fob. It's an Audiovox.

There are basically two kinds of remote starts as was explained to me. The one I have that works with a typical key fob and has a typical key fob range. And the kind that works with a smart phone so you can start your car from just about anywhere. The smart phone kind cost about 2 to 3 times more.

I wanted to tweak some settings on the remote start and downloaded the instructions. Whoa. They are not consumer friendly. I didn't mess with it. Whatever the professional did to install it, I have no idea. I've never seen a wire or receiver or anything foreign in the car.

I'd advise you talk to a professional shop in your area.

Question about your Sonata: Does it have a push button start? If it does, I would forgo the remote start.

We have it on my wife's Odyssey (OEM unit, installed by the dealer at purchase). What I didn't know is that on push button start cars it requires you to have the doors locked to operate the ignition. Then when you get to the car and unlock it, the engine turns off. It really gives me an uneasy feeling when it is cold out giving it two starts, one that is cold and one that is kind of cold. In the heat, I still wouldn't love the idea of two starts in a row, especially for fuel dilution on a GDI engine.

If it is a key, go for it.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Question about your Sonata: Does it have a push button start? If it does, I would forgo the remote start.

We have it on my wife's Odyssey (OEM unit, installed by the dealer at purchase). What I didn't know is that on push button start cars it requires you to have the doors locked to operate the ignition. Then when you get to the car and unlock it, the engine turns off. It really gives me an uneasy feeling when it is cold out giving it two starts, one that is cold and one that is kind of cold. In the heat, I still wouldn't love the idea of two starts in a row, especially for fuel dilution on a GDI engine.

If it is a key, go for it.
It's a base model so it has a key.

Not really sure how I go about looking for a reputable shop to do this. There's an Audio Express down the street but they're kind of sketchy. I'll call the dealer

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Not really sure how I go about looking for a reputable shop to do this. There's an Audio Express down the street but they're kind of sketchy. I'll call the dealer

Look for a quality car audio shop, they will typically do installs of this nature and guarantee their work.

I've thought about getting a remote start for my Sonata. Summers are killer here in Phoenix and it's been summer for over a month already. I'd like to start it 10 minutes before I leave to cool it down. It's parked in the sun since my Jeep gets the garage.

Any remote start systems you guys recommend? Any of them easy to install or is it going to be wire splice city? If it's that way I won't do it. I'd also prefer not to spend an arm and a leg.

Your car may be already equipped with the factory wiring and a plug-in HYUNDAI/Dealer installed unit may be the ticket. Most cars today are already wired for these units so the dealer service dept can quickly install them for a quick $500. This is the rout that I would take and I have good reason for my opinion on this.

Most aftermarket remote engine start(RES) are of course, universal. There are better units available but, from past experience of friends & family, it's a gamble. When having these RES units installed(unless installing them yourself), it's hack job. And not every RES unit is compatible with every vehicle. Factory security systems have to be bypassed so that car can now use the RES security system. And this often caused electrical gremlins in the future such as lights flashing, horns honking or things just not working correctly or at all.

50% of the folks that I know using an aftermarket RES system have issues with them. Often these folks have the system removed due to the gremlins mentioned above. I cringe when I hear folks having these RES system installed in their vehicles, even by a reputible shop. All of the family/friends having these systems removed from their vehicles had them installed by a VERY reputible shop known for their electronic install(stereo sys, lighting sys, cameras etc.)

Last edited:
I got a combo 2-way alarm with remote start. I did that, as a planned thing, the day after I bought the car. I went to the same installer that my dealer and others used.

Get at least 2 2-way remotes. When you do a command, both units beep in acknowledgement (with some delay for the one you did not press). That doubles as a key finder, presuming the remote control is on your keys.

With a 2-way, you can always look to see if you locked your car. If the alarm triggers, it will sound off on the remote. I put a dis-connect on the siren, because I don't like those loud sound chirps from the car when I lock or unlock. The sound at the remote is good.

I have an Avital that has some funny modes. For example, accidentally press 2 particular buttons at once, and the car starts every 3 hours for 20 minutes. When I get in that mode, have to look up the solution, and the solution is not just pressing buttons at the remote. I think it is turning the ignition on while the car is running. So I have to start the car remotely, then turn on the ignition with the key while the engine is running.

I think a nice feature would be if the remote alerted you that your battery was getting low. I think I read that some units have that feature.

just my personal opinion - as much as the convenience fascinates--- this is an expensive option to me. If you pre-start the car 5 days a week for 10 minutes at a time, that's 50 minutes of run time, unoccupied per week. Even at just afternoons (I could see both during winter), that's over 3 hours per month. How much fuel is that? and could it be tolerated by using a sunscreen and cracking the windows? a screen and a cracked window helps loads. 5 minutes of AC and it's tolerable.

Am I missing something?

I've never had one, but I've had used cars with security systems wired in for starter interrupt. I've learned that if it has anything tied into the ignition and/or starter circuit, I rip it out because at some point that cheap relay flakes out.

It's parked in the sun since my Jeep gets the garage.

If this is the Jeep in your signature, it must be really special.

Originally Posted By: maximus
It's parked in the sun since my Jeep gets the garage.

If this is the Jeep in your signature, it must be really special.
It is. It was my grandpa's Jeep and I'll keep it til the day I die. Don't want it stolen and don't want the expensive set of BFGs to dry rot off of it. This is Arizona.

rksjg1.jpg

I like the idea behind Compustar Slice junior, with a 2way, one button remote start. It has a small fob that can be programmed just for starting. Downside is that you have to use two key fobs.
Their Slice model has everything though, with a traditional keyfob design. I don't like the fobs with LCD displays, because most of them look cheesy and cheap with a cartoon of a car on them that looks like it was made by a 10 year old. And the screen can be easily damaged.

I have a Viper 4105V on the Mitsubishi Pajero. It's a one-way, which was the appeal in the first place since it's for my old man. Simple does the trick. Bought it off Amazon for $55 with Prime, and I've been quite happy.
smile.gif

Whatever you install, consider putting in a circuit for a simple switch setup that disables remote start when the hood is open.

It is. It was my grandpa's Jeep and I'll keep it til the day I die. Don't want it stolen and don't want the expensive set of BFGs to dry rot off of it. This is Arizona.

rksjg1.jpg

Would be nice to see some more pictures of that XJ! Albeit minor, I Wasn't a fan of the styling on the '97-'01. The '84-'96, however, was beautiful. Bit of a shame what gets to wear the Cherokee nameplate today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back