Amsoil SS 5w-20, 50,000 miles, '11 Ford Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fascinating...I was going to ask how the heck the TBN took a sudden jump up, but then I saw that you added 2 quarts since the last analysis.
How far are you planning to take it?

Very impressive. Did you have the bypass filter on from the beginning? Or did you add it during the oci?

It sure held fairly steady from the first sample to the latest.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
you mean 5000 mi not 50,000 right?
laugh.gif

dustyroads

I added the bypass unit when my Expedition went out of warranty @ 100k miles. The 1st sample dropped off when sample # 6 was added. I took the 1st sample @ 25k miles. It looks pretty close to sample # 2.

Virtus_Probi

How far do I plan on taking it?
Excellent question. I'll keep going as long as the Oil Analysis keeps coming back good. So far I1

Virtus_Probi

How far do I plan on taking it? Excellent question. I'll keep going as long as the Oil Analysis keeps coming back good. So far I've changed the Full flow filter @ 25k, and 50k miles. I'll change my Bypass filter @ 60k miles. That should boost my additive package even more. I'll post again after I do this.

5 quarts of makeup oil though. Is it burning oil or just because of filter changes etc?

Pretty good but still, that's 14 quarts total so far. Some cars take 4-5 quarts total so this is basically three oil changes worth. About 17,000 miles per oci. Pretty good depending on if it's highway mostly or city. If all highway, it's not Amazing.

KL31
The 5 quarts of makeup oil are a combination of usage and filter changes. I think you're missing the Big Picture. In 50k miles I've used 2 $15 filters and approx $45 worth of oil totaling $75. This took me less than 20 minutes in my own garage. My wear #s are Exceptional. Not only do I feel my results are amazing, but I challenge you to find someone with Better results!

By the add pack, any good synthetic oil can go 50K with bypass filtration? Looks feaseable to me.
Nice

Originally Posted By: Crusher
KL31
The 5 quarts of makeup oil are a combination of usage and filter changes. I think you're missing the Big Picture. In 50k miles I've used 2 $15 filters and approx $45 worth of oil totaling $75. This took me less than 20 minutes in my own garage. My wear #s are Exceptional. Not only do I feel my results are amazing, but I challenge you to find someone with Better results!

Amen! I'm working on it, but I also think a 50K run is a record for BITOG. I've never seen one longer (with supporting UOA) that I can recollect. And I have no idea how someone calculates "3 oil changes worth" for 5 qts. of makeup oil on a 9 qt. sump. Must be new math. Your wear metals are indeed phenomenal, are you doing particle counts? If not, I would suggest a particle count with your next UOA.

Open question to the BITOG heads. Can anyone link to a longer run?

As I said, many, many cars take 4-5 quarts total. And many of them can go approx 10,000-12,000 miles with TBN to spare. So my math is sound. 14 quarts will give you an easy 3 OCI on those cars. That's 30-36k miles and they are playing it safe.

Results are impressive for sure. Amazing, nope. If I did 100,000 miles on an oci but my sump was 50 quarts, that wouldn't be as impressive as my sump being 10x smaller and doing 100k miles.

14 quarts and 50k miles is approx 3600 miles per quart. If it's the world record I'll concede here that the results are amazing but I bet there are plenty close to that. Time to make a record oci thread perhaps?

Originally Posted By: KL31
14 quarts and 50k miles is approx 3600 miles per quart. If it's the world record I'll concede here that the results are amazing but I bet there are plenty close to that. Time to make a record oci thread perhaps?

Not trying to be disrespectful, but I don't agree with your math. Reason is because Crusher has not yet CHANGED his oil. 9 quart sump is still there. He has used 5 quarts of top up oil in 50K. What if he goes another 50K without changing? I find the idea of a longest OCI thread fascinating.

Details that will help:

- Latest Oil Sample that has 50,000 miles on it
- The report shows this as sample #6. Samples 1-5 show the same oil starting at ~25k.
- Added 1 quart of makeup oil in between now and the last sample. Overall, I have added 2 quarts in total.

Very cool! took me a bit to figure out what was going on :p

Well, I think my math is fine since I am going by total quarts used.

Here's a Honda civic using wallmart oil https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...201#Post4373587

12k miles on wallmart oil with a 3.9 quart sump. 3.9 goes into 14 approx 3.5 times. That's 3.5 oil changes. 12 x 3.5 is 42000 miles. That's close and again that's Wallmart oil not amsoil....

Sure he hasn't changed oil but adding oil is adding oil. Everything gets refreshed when adding oil.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the excellent result. But we have to keep in mind:

It's amsoil, 14 quarts have been used and maybe all highway. Dont get me wrong, I wish my car could go that far on 14 quarts!
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back