Question for all you Lexus owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a new 2016 IS 300 2GR-FSE engine with port and direct injection. Calls for 0W-20 and takes 6.7 quarts with a 10K change interval.

I am very willing to do this, but was burned on my last vehicle following the manufacturers recommendations. I had a 2012 Acura TL 3.7L engine. Ran 5W-20 synthetic oil at intervals recommended by the motor monitor. Usually 6K miles. At 60K started using oil and at 70K the engine was replaced due to coked rings.

My question. (and probably difficult to answer). Did I just get stuck with a poor engine design in the Acura or could my driving habits have hastened the coking of the rings? If it was just poor engine design then I assume I could go the full 10K with no issues in the Lexus. If it is driving pattern then perhaps I should change it sooner. I really have no issues with early oil changes if it can enhance engine longevity.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I would change the FF oil early. Between 2k-3k miles. Then again at 10k miles. Then perhaps follow OLM after that.

YOU PROBABLY DIDNT RUN SYNTHETIC OIL. Just so-called synthetic oil.

Another fell into the trap.

Ring sticking = driving style, state of tune, proper wear in of motor, fuel quality and oil quality.

Fuel quality is important. Good luck there!

Try ENEOS SUSTINA or Amsoil Signature.

Also Motul XMAX.

That engine need to see wide open throttle( or nearly so) and good revs whenever it is convenient. Getting on the highway, charging off a stoplight etc. a least a couple instances a day in a 20 mile commute.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
What are your driving habits? Helps with an answer.

Smoky

My driving habits are fairly sedate. Drive to work 13-15 miles daily each way. Three times a week I have to traverse a fairly steep "mountain". Higher RPM on the way up and no load high vacuum on the way down. Car is warm at this time. Speeds 40-50 to and from work. 60-70 highways. 70% commute and 30% highways.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Did the Acura have the cylinder deactivation system, whatever it is called? If yes, they it was probably the root cause of your engine trouble.

Nope. No cylinder deactivation.

Ultimately this is up to you. .

there are hundreds of thousands of that engine out in the field people driving normally following lexus schedule as people are on maintenance plans.

if you more paranoid, go ahead and switch to 5k oil intervals there is nothing bad about it except waste.

have you done research and is it a known pattern thst your Acura may have a flaw instead and this is a common problem?

If you bought new you should have a couple free oil changes coming up for you to decide. perhaps paying for the uoa will get you the data you need. I would not go out of your way to do something off book as you have a pretty comprehensive warranty from Lexus.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Ring sticking = driving style, state of tune, proper wear in of motor, fuel quality and oil quality.

Also Motul XMAX.

That engine need to see wide open throttle( or nearly so) and good revs whenever it is convenient. Getting on the highway, charging off a stoplight etc. a least a couple instances a day in a 20 mile commute.

Okay, what we need as a sticky is a list of Arcographite recognized REAL synthetic motor oils, so if you don't run one of those, expect "you didn't run real synthetic".

My commute was able to keep my 528e carbon free. MDW's around town driving in her 528e carbon-ed up. A coupla 25 mile runs down to the Canal in 2 would cure it. About the 70 K Acura with coked rings. What happened to the original engine? Granted it would be several hrs labor, but labor and a gasket kit would have fixed the engine

Last edited:
You just had bad luck with the Acura. If you're worried, run a quality extended drain syn like M1 EP which can easily do the spec'd 10K. And like mentioned above, UOAs are your best friend.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Also Motul XMAX.

Always ran Shell premium gas with occasional Mobil premium. Top Tier gas.

Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge 5W-20 oils

Originally Posted By: andyd
My commute was able to keep my 528e carbon free. MDW's around town driving in her 528e carbon-ed up. A coupla 25 mile runs down to the Canal in 2 would cure it. About the 70 K Acura with coked rings. What happened to the original engine? Granted it would be several hrs labor, but labor and a gasket kit would have fixed the engine

Original engine was replaced on Acura's dime. Would have kept it, but the rear differential was going despite timely fluid changes with Acura specific fluid.

I suspect you will have a much better experience with the Lexus.

I would change the factory fill out today, and go with 7.5 or 10k OCI's after that.

M1 EP 0w-20 would be my choice.

Nice car!

I think 5k oil changes with a major brand of synthetic that meets Lexus specs will serve you well. No need for Eneos Sustina, that's a very expensive oil albeit very good.

Take that car out for Sunday drives. It wants to run.

The Honda VCM cylinder/valvetrain issues are well-known - your IS will live a happy life on any good xW-20 oil. The GR series engines aren't as hard on their oil as their predecessors were. 5K intervals, Toyota's maintenance minder is an idiot light, not an algorithm like Honda or GM.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would change the FF oil early. Between 2k-3k miles. Then again at 10k miles. Then perhaps follow OLM after that.

Did change out the factory fill at 4K miles. TGMO 0w-20.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
I am very willing to do this, but was burned on my last vehicle following the manufacturers recommendations. I had a 2012 Acura TL 3.7L engine. Ran 5W-20 synthetic oil at intervals recommended by the motor monitor. Usually 6K miles. At 60K started using oil and at 70K the engine was replaced due to coked rings.

The car was the issue, not how early to change the oil. Look at all the other things that went south on it. A reliable car will give you many thousands of miles by following the recommended oil change intervals. Changing the oil early won't help any. It surely didn't help your Acura that your still obsessing over. The Camry in my signature has received 10k oil changes with TGMO with excellent UOA results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back