mitsubishi grandis 2.4 mivec 4G69 which oil UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Manual is really non-specific suggesting everything from a 0-30 to a 20-50 and to select grade on temperature, as long as its ACEA rated and atleast API SG.

I don't know a lot out this engine, not sure if a more robust HTHS is preferred and what is considered SAE too thin/thick.
As we tend to do a lot of quiet town driving, 2 miles each way twice daily, I've preferred thinner W rating for better cold starting/protection (in winter 0w cranks noticeably better than a 5w in our Corolla 1.8) and the recommended higher number as we do regular road trips.

The Mitsubishi 2.4 specs 5w20 (or maybe even 0w20) here in the states. I certainly wouldn't put anything heavier than 30 weight. I'd run 5w30 in your case.

Well go by the manual, check whats your climate and select your oil.
In the Caribbean a lot of car manuals are also like that so a bit of us use 20w50 in new vehicles.

Shell lube match (UK):

Premium Helix HX7 10W-40 (a)

a. Alternative recommendations, Engine (Petrol): -30°C, 10W-40; >-30°C, 10W-50; >-15°C, 15W-40; >-15°C, 15W-50; >-10°C, 20W-40; >-10°C, 20W-50;
Reading the manual in detail it states must meet ACEA A3 if using 0w30, 5w30 or 5w40.

Think I will email Mitsubishi UK

Last edited:
Hope they won't give you the same answer they gave to me!
Which was, by the book, 10W40 or 15W40 oil... no special cert or anything. Maybe it was fine in the 70's when my 4G15 was originally designed, but seriously, there are better oils now, especially for the 20K OCI they recommend.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Hope they won't give you the same answer they gave to me!
Which was, by the book, 10W40 or 15W40 oil... no special cert or anything. Maybe it was fine in the 70's when my 4G15 was originally designed, but seriously, there are better oils now, especially for the 20K OCI they recommend.

Especially when we seek optimum, not minimally acceptable.

Here in NZ Mitsubishi supply their own oil called MSL, which is Castrol Edge 5W-30. Mitsubishi themselves don't seem to care, so long as it's within the viscosity ranges in their chart, it's all good oil to them.

I would stick with an xW-30. I suggest Petronas Syntium 7000E 0W-30, if you're looking for a 0W - £47 for 5L at your local Halfords. Look for the "CoolTech" logo for the PAO version in case they have new old stock.

+1 on the Petronas oil mentionned.

I personally had great success (see my UOA...hum...somewhere in the uoa forum) with Petronas Syntium 7000 0W40 in my Mitsu. I know the engines are different, and I am a "heavy" oil guy (more an old car guy in fact, regarging my "herd"), but this 0W40 is hardly a 40, just a little thicker than the 0W30. And you can't go wrong with 229.5 cert.

My gf is also using it in her car, with a 4A91 engine...makes it smooth.

Mitsubishi UK have come back with the following:

Quote:
... the oil grade is Multivis 10w40.

ACEA and API Classification: A1, A2, A3 / API: SG or higher

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
We're running all these engines on a +3.5 cP HTHS 5w-30 here (western-europe)

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Totally agree on the Xw-30.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Any A3/B4 will do...easier to find in xxW40 than xxW30. Unless you give Total Quartz 9000 0W30 a try! Available at opioils I think.

+1

Average ambiental temperatures in the UK are not so high, so it is fine with xW-30 ACEA A3/B4...+3.5 cP HTHS

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes

Quote:

Looks like they didn`t want to say - "we are not sure..."
33.gif

Quote:

33.gif

Or "We don't care! Just put some [censored] oil in!"
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turboseize

Quote:

33.gif

grin.gif

Or "You know those expensive dealer services you paid for the last 10 years ? We used any old stuff..."

Originally Posted By: turboseize

grin.gif

As I mentioned before, Mitsubishi don't seem to worry too much about what oil to put in, just the appropriate viscosity for the climate. They still recommend CD or better for diesels. They are probably correct.

The Petronas Syntium 7000 E 0w30 is £27 delivered from carparts4less in the UK,don't go to Halfords for it unless you want to get robbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back