Does 911 react to late?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A dog can help, too.

I consider dogs as a deterrent and early warning. Gives you time to react.

As a young rookie police officer, I responded to a home invasion by a scared young lady. An unarmed young lady that, when seconds counted, the police were only minutes away. When I got there, I found her on the floor...She died later that night and her attacker has never been found.

That night, I instantly learned the importance of our 2nd amendment and having the ability to defend oneself. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. I've SEEN it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
As a young rookie police officer...

Ouch.

Thank you for your service--I don't think I could go on after viewing something like that.

Unfortunately most people do not realize the inadequacy of understaffed emergency services until its too late.

Just for clarity also, 911 is part of a dispatch system. There is no "911 department" the level of emergency services remains the same with or without the 911 system.

Last edited:
The police have a duty to the public, not to individuals. The police exist to keep the peace, solve crimes, and deter crime. They cannot ever be held to a standard of stopping crime in progress. That would require them to be everywhere at once. Sadly, the fantasy that the police will protect you is pervasive. A convenient rationalization that allows people to abdicate their personal responsibility for their own safety, or worse, advocate denying others the means to provide for their own safety.

Thought this was a Porsche turbo lag story
frown.gif

I have called police when I watched someone fire a shotgun in my old apartment complex. They took forever to get there and they didnt seem to care when they did. I do have a dog which will help me be alerted if something is lurking out my door at night, but I know he wont do much if they come in. I keep a pistol near.

Dead bolts on all entrance doors, locked all night and most of the day. Driveway alarm, gun by the bed and one on each floor plus the garage & car. It's a safe area but very rural, and it only takes one desperate druggie to change your life. I will certainly call 911 in the event of an intrusion, but I will not plead for my life while waiting.

Tom

Originally Posted By: Astro14
The police have a duty to the public, not to individuals. The police exist to keep the peace, solve crimes, and deter crime. They cannot ever be held to a standard of stopping crime in progress. That would require them to be everywhere at once. Sadly, the fantasy that the police will protect you is pervasive. A convenient rationalization that allows people to abdicate their personal responsibility for their own safety, or worse, advocate denying others the means to provide for their own safety.

Very well said!

Pick a community, state and area with low crime rate and don't fret. I always wondered why folks are so scared but realized northern New England (Maine, NH, VT) has least violent crime. I won't go into factors why.....

I'm "rural" now, I guess, and quite a ways from the nearest police barracks. I really should work on being more prepared than calling 911.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm "rural" now, I guess, and quite a ways from the nearest police barracks. I really should work on being more prepared than calling 911.
A $200 Mossberg and $10 worth of ammo is a good start.

Originally Posted By: robertcope
The police are not a protection service like a bodyguard.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

You both are correct; perhaps more so than you believe. And it's not just LEOs, but most any governmental service, such as social work, etc.

There are multiple SCOTUS decisions specifically defining the limits of protective obligations.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/default.aspx
Warren v. District of Columbia
DeShaney v. Winnebago County
Castle Rock v. Gonzales
etc

The only time there is a specific duty (obligation) for LEO protection is if it's mandated by law (such as protection of POTUS, etc), or persons who are "in custody" (inmates/prisoners, mental subjects, etc). Officials can choose to extend protection (such as witness protection, etc), but they are not required to do so. Persons in custody can sue if they are not reasonably protected, because they have no means to defend themselves, and so the controlling entity (DoC, Jail, mental facility, etc) must provide for their safety and well being.

Other than that, you're on your own.

And I probably get asked of this topic at least once a year while on duty; the answer surprises many.

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away, and have no duty to protect whatsoever.

Last edited:
During the G20 summit in Toronto few years back, the downtown core was under a lockdown, protected by a 2 or 3 meter high fence with police officers, in full riot gear and automatic weapons, stationed at pre-determined intervals.

They sure as heck were there to protect and serve as bodyguards.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Dead bolts on all entrance doors, locked all night and most of the day. Driveway alarm, gun by the bed and one on each floor plus the garage & car. It's a safe area but very rural, and it only takes one desperate druggie to change your life. I will certainly call 911 in the event of an intrusion, but I will not plead for my life while waiting.

Tom

Agreed.

But even deadbolted doors are still pretty easy to breach with bodily force only. The door frame is the weak link.... Usually a soft wood that comes part under shock load. Can reinforce by drilling through and into the stud with long screws but I prefer to present the potential assailant with a preliminary obstacle to the entry door.

I have these on each entry door to our place:

Just as difficult to pry open. Can they be breached? Absolutely. But... with regard to a potential home invader, this door will give you a longer Reactionary Gap within which go defensive. It is going to take the thug a few minutes to get through this storm door to get to the deadbolted entry door which they then have to breach as well.

They'll likely switch to a window after encountering this storm door, so one would need to be ready in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back