HTHS of Pennzoil Plat Euro 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like my local WMs are carrying a Euro Pennzoil now in 0W40 flavor. Previously, my only oil choices for my N62 550i had been M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40. Like M1, the Pennzoil doesn't carry the LL01 cert, but I'm not too concerned about that as I've been running the M1 without issue. So with that said, do any of you all know the HTHS viscosity on this oil as the product sheet doesn't list it. Aside from that, what can you all say about the oil?...any better than the benchmark M1?

Seems like Pennzoil has a $2/quart rebate going on as well, and it was priced at $22/five quart bottle at WM...good deal.

Pennzoil doesn't publish it, but you can expect the hths to be very similar to the other two oils you mentioned.

Another option is Valvoline synpower 0w40 that some stores carry. It lists ll01 approval and has hths of 3.7 cP.

I unfortunately have never ran across a euro valvoline at any of my stores, but I would pick it up in a heartbeat if I did. I'll have to give the Pennzoil a try next oil change in about two months then.

Just curious why you base your oil selection decision on a test of oil at 302F. Hopefully, your oil will never see temps this high.

Pure curiosity. It's just nice having a third OTC option for my BMW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Just curious why you base your oil selection decision on a test of oil at 302F. Hopefully, your oil will never see temps this high.

BMW requires a minimum HTHS of 3.5. On the turbo motors, like my N55, the oil will get very close to 300F if driven hard.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
Seems like my local WMs are carrying a Euro Pennzoil now in 0W40 flavor. Previously, my only oil choices for my N62 550i had been M1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40. Like M1, the Pennzoil doesn't carry the LL01 cert, but I'm not too concerned about that as I've been running the M1 without issue. So with that said, do any of you all know the HTHS viscosity on this oil as the product sheet doesn't list it. Aside from that, what can you all say about the oil?...any better than the benchmark M1?

Seems like Pennzoil has a $2/quart rebate going on as well, and it was priced at $22/five quart bottle at WM...good deal.

I would not use a non Longlife-01 oil in a new BMW especially when there are inexpensive choices that do meet the spec. But maybe that's just me. M1 0W-40 hasn't been missing the spec all that long, so I doubt you would see any issues- yet. But what "issues" are you looking for? Since no one knows why M1 no longer carries LL-01 then it is unknown what the problem is. People speculate on here what it is but the bottom line is that no one knows. Why risk it in your nice car when five feet down the Walmart shelf there is a very good oil that does have Longlife-01?

And M1 is no longer the benchmark, at least not for BMWs. That status went away with the LL-01 certification.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I would not use a non Longlife-01 oil in a new BMW especially when there are inexpensive choices that do meet the spec. But maybe that's just me. M1 0W-40 hasn't been missing the spec all that long, so I doubt you would see any issues- yet. But what "issues" are you looking for? Since no one knows why M1 no longer carries LL-01 then it is unknown what the problem is. People speculate on here what it is but the bottom line is that no one knows. Why risk it in your nice car when five feet down the Walmart shelf there is a very good oil that does have Longlife-01?

And M1 is no longer the benchmark, at least not for BMWs. That status went away with the LL-01 certification.

Bingo! German Castrol 0W40. Can get for basically the same price.

I am not going to risk my $20k motor to prove M1 is still good enough for LL-01 without the certification, just to save $2 on a jug of oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek

M1 is 3.6 and Castrol Edge is 3.5 and was found on their websites recently. Don't know about Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Castrol Edge is 3.5

That 3.5 cP value that Castrol lists is just a bare minimum required to meet ACEA A3/B4. The actual HT/HS of that oil is higher. From what I recall, it's around 3.7 cP. Anyway, no big difference.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I would not use a non Longlife-01 oil in a new BMW especially when there are inexpensive choices that do meet the spec.

IIRC, OP's car is 9 years old and has 150K+ miles, so not exactly new, but in general, I would agree with you - if there were two 0w-40 oils on the shelf next to each other and one carried LL-01 spec, then that's what I'd pick.

With that said, I shouldn't really be talking as I use non LL-01 oil in my BMW as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
IIRC, OP's car is 9 years old and has 150K+ miles, so not exactly new, but in general, I would agree with you - if there were two 0w-40 oils on the shelf next to each other and one carried LL-01 spec, then that's what I'd pick.

With that said, I shouldn't really be talking as I use non LL-01 oil in my BMW as well.
smile.gif

Well you know, new to me
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dubber09
PP Euro 5w-40 is LL-01 oil, do you REALLY need to use 0w-40 in TX?

Why would you have him go off and search for that when Castrol 0W-40 is less money and readily available at all Walmart stores?

For an LL-01 oil the grade is irrelevant, especially for those two. There is no practical difference whatsoever.

PP Euro 5w-40 is readily available in WM.

Not in the US WM.

It is available at some auto part stores, but it does not come in 5qt jugs and therefore pricing isn't particularly attractive.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

Your oil sees temps like that every time it's running. The oil in the bearings runs much hotter than the bulk temperature. In fact, it's easy to go beyond that temperature.

Not in the US WM.

It is available at some auto part stores, but it does not come in 5qt jugs and therefore pricing isn't particularly attractive.

It has come up in the last 2 annual AutoZone clearance sales for $2/qt + tax. No guarantee that this year will give a 3rd chance. I offered up 7 qts of the stuff on the "for sale" forum and couldn't even get interest at $15 for the lot. Must not have much of a following.

Not in the US WM.

Last time I saw it at US WM - in Bellingham, WA, 2 weeks ago when I was there. It was 5qt jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back