Finding shops...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've always had issues with finding shops. I do approximately 99% of my own car work ranging from mods to maintenance. The exception is tire installs, alignments, gears and finish body work. Anyways, it seems every time I try to find a shop I end up with some sheisters. I have my alignment guys, tire guys and gear guys which have all done multiple jobs for me but not without finding a couple of sheisters along the way.

On my Mustang I'm considering the possibility of reinforcing or upgrading the torque boxes (part of the unibody where the rear control arms connect). Other than just starting to call around to body shops in the area I simply have no idea how or where to find the type of place that would A) do this and B) do this well. What do you guys do when you need to find a top notch shop like this?

Now, I'm not working on a show car, but I'm neither a body man nor welder and would consider this a fairly critical task to delegate to the so-called professionals. Like I've said, on the rare occasion I've taken my car(s) in for work, the results were either sub-par or they attempted to outright fleece me... I don't know too many people who are as mechanically adept as I am and of those fewer have a dedicated weekend car that would receive this type of repair.

Go to a local car show, those guys know all the good wrenchs. I've found the best people by word of mouth.

You can tackle this one yourself and save a small fortune. Look at these..

https://wildridesracecars.com/shop/ford/new-upper-lower-s-box-combo-package/

http://www.americanmuscle.com/stfulesuco.html

You can do all the fitting yourself which is all labor but its not that difficult. Once its all fitted go to a small metal fabrication shop and ask the owner if he one of his guys could came and weld this, more than likely one of his guys will do it off the clock on the weekend. Arrange all this first before buying the parts and doing the job.
You can find a decent welder who does portable welding, there are plenty of them making a few extra bucks on the weekend.

I too would find a welding shop or a welder who does side work. The ones I've had experience with had lot of pride in their work and did a great job.

Yes they do. I just had a thought, go to the local air gas and ask the guys if they know someone. The OP will be much better off with a pro than having some jamoke like me in a body shop do it. I can weld okay (a few night courses) but I am no pro welder by any stretch of the imagination and neither are most mechanics and body men.

Another avenue you might pursue would be to contact a local union hall for either boilermakers or pipefitters. They will know where to find 6G qualified welders, and who has welding equipment at home. Stay away from Ironworker and structural welders; they generally are only qualified to weld flat stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back