M1 AFE 0W-20 Honda Civic 2009 (~5567 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some background on this one:
1. I took this sample when I did an oil change at beginning of this month.
2. Oil used was Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 (green label one you know). This was the first time I switched to 0W-20, engine is originally specced for 5W-20 but Honda says 0W-20 is okay. Filter used was the Honda A01. Nothing was wrong when I cut the filter open.
3. I did use Techron in varying sizes (20oz, 120z, 10oz, etc), about four times during this run just because.
4. Driven almost all highway, very little stop and go. About 31 miles a day.
5. This interval is almost exactly one year.
6. The column on the right for the analysis at 6870 miles was Mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic (plain silver label). I experienced less oil consumption on 0W-20 than the 5W-20. I don't know if the iron would have trended to be less with the 0W-20 had I waited the full 6870 miles either.
7. I don't know what's up with the fuel. According to Blackstone TR is 8. I maintain the car religiously and it runs like a top, no problems whatsoever.
9. I put AFE 0W-20 into the car again with another A01. Next year when I do another change it will be PuP 0W-20 with another A01. Since the results are good I will remain on 0W-20 and never go back to 5W-20.

fvymx.png

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
That seems real good. Curious, how many miles on it?

Thanks for sharing
thumbsup2.gif

Car itself had 66155 at the time, the oil was 5567 miles old unless I'm misundertanding.

What was the OLM reading when you changed it? With M1 0W-20 AFE, I'd just wait until it got to zero before changing. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I have used M1 0-20AFE for years, and have found it to be an outstanding lubricant, even at 10K OCIs.

There is a good chance all that Techron tripped the fuel dilution. Many people will only use Techron once an OCI and usually near the end of it FYI.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
That seems real good. Curious, how many miles on it?

Thanks for sharing
thumbsup2.gif

Car itself had 66155 at the time, the oil was 5567 miles old unless I'm misundertanding.

Thanks, sorry I should have been clear. Was asking for miles on the car, got it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigt61
What was the OLM reading when you changed it? With M1 0W-20 AFE, I'd just wait until it got to zero before changing. Thanks for posting.

It was at 40%.

Ah the good old R18. You could probably run canola oil and that thing would run for miles and miles. Miss my civic, I used to beat the [censored] out of it and it never let me down. Great car.

I was getting fuel dilution in my 2006 Civic but at a much higher rate (as high as 7%!) and it was most likely a leaky injector, but I solved it by running one tank with Gumout Regane HM and then one tank of Gumout fuel injector cleaner. After that my fuel dilution went to nil. I also had a problem with hard starting when the engine sat for longer periods (one of the symptoms of a leaky injector BTW) and that problem also went away.

I love my Civic! It overheated on me the other day after getting stuck in traffic and the engine hit 276 degrees according to my scangauge! (oops!) but there seems to be no ill effects of that episode, it still runs perfect. This thing is a reliable workhorse!

Originally Posted By: Patman
I was getting fuel dilution in my 2006 Civic but at a much higher rate (as high as 7%!) and it was most likely a leaky injector, but I solved it by running one tank with Gumout Regane HM and then one tank of Gumout fuel injector cleaner. After that my fuel dilution went to nil. I also had a problem with hard starting when the engine sat for longer periods (one of the symptoms of a leaky injector BTW) and that problem also went away.

I love my Civic! It overheated on me the other day after getting stuck in traffic and the engine hit 276 degrees according to my scangauge! (oops!) but there seems to be no ill effects of that episode, it still runs perfect. This thing is a reliable workhorse!

Your overheating experience was what happened to me when my head gasket began to fail on my 03. Exhaust leak into the coolant, intermittent at first, usually after a highway drive then getting into traffic. Keep a close eye on it. The 7th generation Civic is known for this, and failures are showing up on the 8th generation too.

I changed my oil on the weekend and will be taking the sample to Wearcheck this morning, so hopefully the results will show the engine to be ok! I believe the overheating is due to the engine fans not coming on at the right time. If I turn on the AC the high speed fan kicks in and drops the temp back down to 180 but if I don't have the AC on, it seems like the fan doesn't come on at all anymore. But it takes a very long time before the engine temp goes into the danger zone, I can be stuck in traffic for 15-20 minutes and the engine temp is still around 210-220. I just dropped the ball this time and didn't pay attention (otherwise I would have turned on the AC to kick in the fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back