truck runs smoother without lubricity additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last couple tanks I gave up on using my stanadyne lubricity formula and filled up at the walmart gas station since supposedly they put bio diesel in. The only thing I added the last two times was power service grey bottle. So what gives? Is it the cetane boost that's in it that's making it run smoother? I really have no idea if the pump has bio diesel in it or not since the sticker isn't on the pump anymore, but the tanker truck driver did say it was b20. Whether or not he really knows is beyond me.

I would say it's more fuel related than anything to do with an additive.

Your truck does not need the lubricity additive like the older Cummins with a Bosch VP44 injector pump.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
You're putting lubricity additives in the fuel?

I've done it since day one almost.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would say it's more fuel related than anything to do with an additive.

Your truck does not need the lubricity additive like the older Cummins with a Bosch VP44 injector pump.

So even if it gets a dry load of fuel run through it then it will be ok still? As in a tankful that never had the correct additives mixed in at the terminal?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
common rail on dry fuel will not last a full tank.

I've never seen how my 6.7 injectors are any different than a common rail injector on an 03 or 04 cummins back when they had 500ppm sulpher in the fuel. Last time I checked it can hang an injector open just like any other regular diesel and that's just castastrophic when that happens. So maybe I should just go back to using my stanadyne every tank for a piece of mind. As far as I know the extra smoothness could just be the cool weather and/or not using the ac. I've always found the ac puts an extra load on the engine and runs a bit rougher. Although not noticeable to the average joe.

Dry fuel is fuel with a big HFRR wear scar diameter. Jet fuel, and kerosine are like that. Diesel fuel without biodiesel or other lubricity additives is like that aswell. Even biodiesel isn't aguarantee that the fuel will have a sufficiently small wear scar diameter as biodiesel lubricity is also dependant on impurities (free fatty acids, mono-, di-, and triglycerides that didn't convert to a methyl ester)

So you're saying most diesel fuel is a dry fuel then?

Hmm, I have 160k miles on my common rail cummins on dry fuel.

Yeah, gonna be hard pressed to convince a lot of fleets who don't add anything to the diesel at the pump and rack up 500,000 miles on individual engines with no fuel system issues.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
So you're saying most diesel fuel is a dry fuel then?

Hmm, I have 160k miles on my common rail cummins on dry fuel.

No, I didn't say anything of that sort!

actually the power service gray bottle is cleaner, cetane booster AND lubricity enhancer in one bottle. I have worked with off highway equipment most of my life, and you can always tell when we run the gray bottle...easier starts, smoother, just a much happier engine. That is the only thing I use or could ever suggest to use in a diesel fuel additive.

Well, the tanker driver may claim the mix is B20, but if there is not a sticker on the pump saying biodiesel is in the mix, it is a FTC violation that can involve a hefty fine. Only less than B5 blend is allowed to not have a sticker on the pump. Just like no sticker required on gas pumps that sell E10. Only higher blends require the sticker.

In my Mercedes ML v6 diesel I most always use the Power Service Gray bottle. If I run a tank without it there is more diesel "clanging". When I put the Power Service in it, I notice it is quieter and smoother right away. ULSD is supposed to be enhanced with lubricants since the sulfur was taken out. It is probably at a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back