Safely raising the vicosity of oil for the summer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

New to the forum. The mileage for my 2008 Subaru Forester is past 140,000, and it is starting to consume a bit of oil. I have a LOT of oil crammed in the shed (10w40,5w40). Is there an additive that can safely raise the viscosity a bit closer to a 50w oil for the summer? I was thinking just old fashioned STP oil treatment. I also see that there is now a STP synthetic oil treatment, but from what I read on the website it is for thinner oils.

In your climate, the "Winter" (W) number shouldn't mean much, if at all. (It is an eternal struggle for me to select between 0W, 5W, and 10W in the summer. You live in Texas. Any of those would work.)

Have you given any of the 40-grade oils you have a shot?

I've been using Rotella T6 in it for years, I still have at least two gallons of that and some 10w40 semi-synthetic as well. With the rotella I'm getting worried about wrecking the cat with the high mileage. The oil consumption is mostly an annoyance, but I would prefer some thicker oil without having to go and buy yet MORE oil.

The answer is probably no for tweaking what you have. If you are interested Castrol and Valvoline 20w50s have both come back with low ZDDP in my UOAs savings the CATs

140k and uses a bit of oil doesn't sound like an issue. I wouldn't do anything more drastic than check your oil often and top off as needed.

I would probably not want to go above 15w40 for that engine. Just use the oil straight up, no additives and keep it topped off.

Lucas will raise the viscosity but it will also dilute the additives.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
If you have a lot of 10w40 use that.

Thats exactly right.

No need to over think this. Forget the additives. Just use the 10w-40 in the summer, and the rest in the winter.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

How can lucas dilute add pack?

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

Because it doesn't have its own additives.

If you mix 1qt of Lucas with 4qts of oil, You will end up with 5qts of oil but with only an 80% concentration of the original additives.

RT6 helped with consumption on my wife's 07 Forester and it has 144k The EJ253 runs fine with a 40 weight, but it was a bit sluggish with 20w50. Your location is only 3-5 degrees warmer on avg in the summer than mine, is a 50 weight/thicker oil really needed?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

If you mix 1qt of Lucas with 4qts of oil, You will end up with 5qts of oil but with only an 80% concentration of the original additives.

And I also believe I saw a demonstration where it made the oil foam up?

Originally Posted By: Buhwheat
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

And I also believe I saw a demonstration where it made the oil foam up?

And, thickening an oil makes the oil hold foam longer.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Chunk a quart of VR1 SAE60 in there.

I'd prefer that to Lucas any day...or M1 V-Twin, or Edge 25W50.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I think you meant, Edge 20w50.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I think you meant, Edge 20w50.

Nope...25W50, just like I typed it.
KV40 207.3
KV100 20.95
HTHS 6.1

Nope...25W50, just like I typed it.
KV40 207.3
KV100 20.95
HTHS 6.1

Thank you and good to know Shannow.

I just ended up pouring half a bottle of stp blue bottle in and be done with it. I'll save the other half for next change. It probably didn't do anything but make my wallet a lighter grade by $4.

Look into Schaeffers #132 if you're looking to tweak your oil [thicker] and help reduce consumption. It is highly regarded by many members here, and I don't ever recall anyone calling it a snake oil. You can buy it on Amazon now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back