What am I missing about these 2 bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I bought a 2016 Ford Edge it has LED bulbs for everything except for the headlights and 2 other bulbs - the front turn signal and license plate; why not use all LEDs for all the "standard little bulbs" ... who knows.

I am looking to keep a package of the front turn signal bulbs which in the manual says they're WY21W which when crossed referenced a lot of places say they are equivalent to 7440 bulbs; to top it off I need amber. I believe these bulbs are on anytime you have a parking light or headlight on and they blink - I would think that would indicate a dual filament bulb such as a 7443 - am I wrong about blinking bulbs? I've never heard of WY21W bulbs and I can't seem to find 7443 amber bulbs and even 7440 amber seem to be scarce. I also need W5W clear bulbs for the license plate ... I've never heard of them either and probably should pick them up as well if I can find them.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bulbs aren't out, just trying to be proactive if they do go out, spending $5 for a package of bulbs is not a big thing, not knowing which bulb to get is a little crazy IMO.
smile.gif

I'd settle for "automotive bulb double talk". Alas, it's more than that.
Completely unnecessary numbering systems.

Wagner has its own numbers as does Volvo

I have no exposure or idea about your 744X bulbs.
Are they the wedge based replacements for the 1156/1157 (either available in amber)?

The 5W5 is a real insulter to our intelligence. There were 193 and 194 (shove in "wedge base" bulbs in 3 and 4 watts, respectively.
So when these wizards decided a 5 watt was necessary they couldn't just make a 195. They thickened the glass base and made it 5 watts.
Now, if you stick a 193 or 194 into a modern license plate lamp socket (for example) which calls for a 5W5 it may light up but will eventually buzz and burn.

Euro specs. You can fit a 7440 in the WY21W socket but you'll have to trim the bulb base (too wide)

W5W is common here too, for plate lighting or cabin lights

I just verified that they do blink ... I guess I'll just wait until one burns out and worry about it then. I do have a Ford dealer really close by so worst case scenario I guess I will go there. All bulb websites are pointing to 7440's in amber, I don't get the blinking part. Of course I guess they could run a lower voltage for normal on and bump up the voltage for blinking. As far as the W5W - Philips & Osram show 168's.

First American car that we've owned in decades and I can't figure out the bulbs!

Call me old school but I like a linking incandescent light. Less crack-heady and more likely to convey a message out of the corner of your eye. LEDs are like, who's turning, missed it! if you pan your head to get a better look.

License lights should have been the first LEDs though just to rip off cops who like to use it as an excuse to pull people over.

I don't have a preference, I just don't know why a car company outfits a car with 98% LEDs and not 100% or go fully incandescent.

Headlights are a whole different story, I have no problems with having halogen headlights if better alternatives aren't as good as what's normally put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back