05 Saab 9-3 2.0T Radiator Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide whether to do this job myself. I have looked at the factory description, and a couple of things give me pause. The first is getting the car high enough in the air to drop the radiator. I'd be using ramps or jack stands. The other parts involve taking lines off the oil cooler and condenser. These specify special tools. Has anyone done this job?

Heres the suck part of the job: The condenser has R-134A and oil in it which is under pressure and you don't want it spewing out for environmental reasons and the fact you'll need to vacuum the AC system and replace the drier once you open it up. Some vehicles need a disconnect tool when removing AC lines. Not sure about Saab, but the tool itself should be cheap.

You could have a shop recover the refrigerant before you start, and evacuate and recharge when you're done.

Are you certain you have to remove a/c lines and condenser?

Usually there is a certain amount of room that you can get it out without removing the condenser.

I think I may pass on this and pay the $650 for a shop to do the job. It's sad, as the radiator itself is only about $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back