BMW emergency top off - non LL oil. How bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Brand new user here. I apologize for asking a question that may have been covered before. I did search for the forum for an answer but to be honest, I likely did not understand enough of the technical info used in the posts to know if they actually answered my question.

I have a 2015 BMW X5 with the v8 tt engine (N63tu). 26,000 miles. I recently received a warning to add 2 quarts of oil. BMW does offer free fluid top offs but my schedule is such that it's really hard for me to get to a dealer without some planning. I'm not sure why the engine didn't warn me at 1 quart but whatever...

I have a couple of leftover quarts of Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w-30 in my garage from a different car. It's not the Euro-spec and isn't BMW LL1 certified but my owners manual does say that 5w-30 is an acceptable weight and that I can perform an emergency 1qt fill with a non LL rated oil as long as it meets the API-SM standard (the Castrol I have is API SN).

I know that I technically should just get a couple quarts of compliant oil but the car is due for service in 3000 miles at which point it will undergo a full oil change. At the rate I drive, the car will be ready for service in 5-6 weeks and I'm really hoping that the Castrol would be an OK Band-Aid to get me through. Unfortunately, BMW service will not provide covered maintenance services until the engine computer says I am within 1,000 miles of the end of a service interval.

The car is generally used for commuting. 65% highway cruising at 75-85 mph with 35% stop and go traffic thrown in for good measure. Maybe the occasional stomp on the accelerator every now and then for high speed merges and a little bit of fun.

How bad would it be for me to use the non-compliant Castrol to get me through to the service interval in a couple of thousand miles? Based on the fact that the BMW rating specifically refers to oil longevity, I'm assuming that it may not be that big a deal to run the Castrol for such a brief period?

Thanks in advance.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Few points:

1. If there's no way to get LL compliant oil before you drive your X5 again, use what you have.

2. Next time you're at the dealership, have them add a few quarts of engine oil to your order. You can take them home and use them as top-off next time so that you never have to run with a mixed sump again.

3. Your engine will likely be fine with the non-compliant top-off. Just go easy on it -- very gentle warm-ups, mild throttle application at all times, as little idling and stop-and-go as possible. BUT...

4. Read your owner's manual closely. There might be something that suggests how long you should run with a mixed sump. This might be important for warranty reasons. AND...

5. Either way, you really should get your oil changed ASAP. If I were you, I'd strongly consider taking this one on the chin and remembering it for next time.

First,

welcome2.gif

Next,

Have you thought about why you are 2 quarts low on this OCI with a relatively new vehicle? You didn't say how many miles are on this oil change interval (OCI).

If it were me, I'd follow what your owners manual said and top up with what you have.

I like that engine but it's big and turbo'ed so it's harder on oil.

IF you want piece of mind - run by a Walmart and purchase some LL01 spec oil.. My
49.gif

Top the oil up with what you have. You're scheduled for a change anyway so it's no big deal. No need to change any driving habits.

As said about, tell them at your next service that you were 2qts low at x,xxx miles and you would like some top off oil added to your RO. Maybe they'll even throw in a free BMW zippered trunk bag for the oil.

I would agree with above. Except the need to drive gentle. Just drive normal, like the average responsible adult who is using the car to just get from point A to point B safely.

What you shouldn't do is go race your car, or drive like fast and the furious. That's the only thing that may cause extra work later to undo.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
What you shouldn't do is go race your car, or drive like fast and the furious. That's the only thing that may cause extra work later to undo.

Even if he did, it wouldn't hurt anything. He's only adding 2qts of non LL01 oil to a 10qt sump. The engine may very well be better off, as he is bumping up additive levels and TBN

Add the oil, drive like normal, have the oil changed when regularly scheduled.

You will be fine to use that oil for top off. What is the oil change interval for this car? I would also be a bit curious as to why a vehicle with 26,000 miles is consuming 2 quarts of oil per change.

Any oil is better than none - while European oil standards, either OEM or ACEA(their rough equivalent to the SAE) are different than ours, it needs to meet API standards at a bare minimum. You did the right thing - but do get this down in writing at the dealer as a CYA in case of a warranty claim and get the oil changed at the earliest opportunity. It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask the dealer to toss in a liter or two of oil next time you get a service done.

Oil consumption is normal.

No need for a CYA statement. The owner's manual covers you there.

As I and another said above, the dealer will be more than happy to proved you with a few quarts for top up.

I probably wouldn't blink running a full sump of the edge 5w30, you'll be fine. Adding new oil refreshes the additives and its a top synthetic anyways even if it doesn't have that specific specification. (it's probably close to the spec)

I would echo what's already been said and be wondering why consumption is high, maybe it's something simple like a loose drain plug or they under filled it good thing it's got a functioning oil level warning, every vehicle should have one.

Few things that need fixing here.

First:

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I probably wouldn't blink running a full sump of the edge 5w30

^ This is a dangerous suggestion (hope you were just exaggerating for effect), and

(it's probably close to the spec)

^ this is untrue.

There are actually a few different kinds of Edge 5w-30, and they're all made to different specs, some of them with mutually exclusive parameters -- e.g. the HTHS values for ACEA A3 vs. A5. Only one of those will come close to what BMW specs for the N63TU. I'm all for not losing sleep, and I did say above that throwing in a couple of quarts of whatever should be okay. But this is taking things a bit far.

Second:

Adding new oil refreshes the additives

Yes -- IF it's the same oil. If not, you end up with a combination of additive chemistries that may or may not work well together.

You can afford a BMW but want to cheap out on oil that isn't spec'd for it? Brilliant.

Go to your local auto parts store, pick up a couple quarts of oil that meets specifications for your car, and be done with it. Then have a discussion with the service manager about why the engine is consuming that much oil (unless it's normal for that engine).

Originally Posted By: Timo325
IF you want piece of mind

Which piece of mind should he have?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
You can afford a BMW but want to cheap out on oil that isn't spec'd for it? Brilliant.

Go to your local auto parts store, pick up a couple quarts of oil that meets specifications for your car, and be done with it. Then have a discussion with the service manager about why the engine is consuming that much oil (unless it's normal for that engine).

He already has Castrol Edge 5W-30 on hand, which is a quality synthetic oil and meets the criteria for top-up on his engine. He is scheduled for an oil change in 3k miles.

This is a non-issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
You need to check the level more often. How long did it take to consume 2 qts.?

According to a Scotty Kilmer video on YouTube, there's no dipstick.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

As much as I dislike Scotty Kilmer, this is true.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

BMW does not use dipsticks anymore, have not had them in a long time. But, you are able to check the oil level from the MID while you are driving. Simple to check every time you drive if you want.

To OP, the oil level gauge may not be accurate when the vehicle is cold, or if there is a lot of moisture in the oil. Get the oil up to full operating temp on the highway and check the level again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and added the Castrol this morning before driving to work. It'll all be swapped out for OEM oil at the next change. As an added benefit, I now have two fewer bottles to store on my garage 'junk' shelf.

I normally do carry a couple of quarts to top off just in case. In this instance, I've only had this car for a little over a year (one service visit so far) and this is the first time I've had to top it off. I was definitely caught off guard and will add a couple of take-home quarts to my next service bill.

After a bit of searching, it turns out that the N63 tends to have a bit of a reputation as an oil eater like most BMWs (and a battery killer, but I knew that when I bought the car). That said, this one is probably on the high side of tolerable. I got the notice about 9,500-10,000 miles into the current interval so it looks like I'm burning about 1 qt. every 5,000 miles or so.

Oil consumption would be even less if you consider the fact that BMW likely did not fill the oil to the max level at the last service. The two quarts I added brought me exactly up to the maximum fill. I did not have to add oil at the last interval (about the same mileage as the current one) so I'm not too concerned yet but will see what happens after the next service visit.

Re: checking oil, I used to do it pretty religiously but BMW is making the process more and more tedious with every generation because all else equal they'd rather their customers not do anything under the hood. I've fallen out of habit but will make sure to check this car more frequently in the future now that I know it may have issues.

Finally, yes. I can afford a BMW and I'd still prefer to save $15-$20 on oil if it doesn't make a difference to anything. Maybe that preference is one of the reasons I can afford a BMW! If it helps put things into perspective, I do buy my cars slightly used (this X5 was purchased at one year old with 6,000 miles on the odo and a CPO warranty to 6/100,000 at something like a 30% discount to original MSRP).

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

Oil consumption on that engine is considered normal until you're well over 1qt/2,500 miles. I'd be happy with 1qt/5k.

Even if you check it religiously, you're not supposed to add until the car tells you to add, to avoid an overfill condition.

You did good. Share some pictures of the ride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back