oil with zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Mazda will be fine with any modern off the shelf oil.

Your Kohler could maybe run on a heavy duty diesel oil if you want a nice zinc boost. My lawn mower (Toro w/ Tecumseh) uses Rotella T 15W40.

An owner's manual specifies the specific formulation additives to use?

How does average joe know where to find that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Your Mazda will be fine with any modern off the shelf oil.

Your Kohler could maybe run on a heavy duty diesel oil if you want a nice zinc boost. My lawn mower (Toro w/ Tecumseh) uses Rotella T 15W40.

^^ Yep!

All my outdoor power equipment is on a steady diet of 15w-40 diesel oil (various brands)

All readily available oils from any of the majors have at least some Zn (~800 PPM). HDEO's generally have more (~1,200 PPM). xW-40's generally have more.

Valvoline VR-1 and Brad Penn/Penn Grade have more and are the ones I'd use for high specific Zn amounts (~1,400 PPM...). Both excellent oils
smile.gif

Some of those lawnmower oils don't even carry api certifications, I'd rather run Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 than a expensive quart of lawnmower oil that claims to meet API SH/SL or thereabouts

The only zinc-free engine oils I can think of are those for the older GM-EMD 2-stroke locomotive engines, which had to be Zn-free (
As said above, (pretty much) all engine oils use ZDDP (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) for anti-wear. And whilst we all focus on Zn as the marker, it's really the phosphorus that is important.

Kohler has had issues with using automotive oil in some of their engines with scuffing wear. The Kohler oil contains high levels of Phosphorus and zinc. A good diesel rated oil "CJ-4 and back" should to fine.

Originally Posted By: RLS
Kohler has had issues with using automotive oil in some of their engines with scuffing wear. The Kohler oil contains high levels of Phosphorus and zinc. A good diesel rated oil "CJ-4 and back" should to fine.

Interesting. Everyone has always pounded into my head on here, small engines don't need zinc, but I'm skeptical. They may not have high valve spring pressures, but imo they stress the engine oil more than a regular car would with a thermostat and controlled oil temps.

As long you have piston ring and liners combo, you'll gonna need zddp, or any AW with the P attached on it, no matter if its valve train cammed or not. This talk about "only need for flat tapped engines" is redrerring.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
As long you have piston ring and liners combo, you'll gonna need zddp, or any AW with the P attached on it, no matter if its valve train cammed or not. This talk about "only need for flat tapped engines" is redrerring.

Rederring? Is that a Portuguese word?

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
As long you have piston ring and liners combo, you'll gonna need zddp, or any AW with the P attached on it...

The GM-EMD engines I mentioned have piston rings and liners. No ZDDP or P in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back