Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, 14,453, 64,583, Toyota 4R 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Second UOA pushed it farther this time same oil both times. Using OEM oil filter. They are telling me the silicon is high, I changed the air filter with another OEM last oil change, same results. Not sure why it is trending like this. They told me to back off a little because the oxidation was getting high. Any input? This is a 2011 Toyota 4Runner 2wd with the 4.0 V6 driving mixed city and highway in Houston, Texas. Thanks, Cody

Maybe do a quick once-over of all your intake hoses to make sure the clamps are tightened down well. If everything looks good there, perhaps the OEM filter (Denso made) for your application simply isn't the best for efficiency. If that's the case - you could always try a different brand just to see if it makes a difference. Wix/Napa Gold would be an easy option. Either way - I wouldn't say your silicon level is "bad" per-se for a 15k run... but it's not spectacular either. Definitely didn't effect your wear numbers though.

In regards to the oxidation... one major thing that is often overlooked, but CRITICAL to know in long OCI's, is the TAN (along with the TBN). The typical "rule" is that once the TAN crosses over the TBN, it's time to change the oil as the additives are no longer able to fully neutralize the acids. It's not a linear progression either... as once the TAN climbs above the TBN, things like oxidation will accelerate at a more and more rapid level. Provided your lab provides the test, next time you get a UOA pay the additional to get the TAN tested along with the TBN. That will give you better insight into the oil's true OCI limit for your application (versus the 15,000mi "guarantee" that the bottle says).

Change the A/F before you change the oil. Vac out the A/F area and up stream as much as convenient. Very nice run. Love those Toyota motors.

Si not that bad for a 14k run in Houston - especially if you're close to any beach. (sand) Check your air filter connections and rock on - wear #'s are great. Good post.

Hmmm, kind of reminds me of the UOA I had done on the Matrix:

UOA Link

Although the oem air filter I had in was long over due so I just replaced it with a Fram. So we'll see.

Last edited:
Good metal wear rates.
Oil sample is still serviceable and probably good for another 2-3K miles.
Yep, watch out filtration .

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys I will take what you all are saying into consideration.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back