2014 Mazda 3, NAPA 0W-20, 4994 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short trips during the week, longer drives on the weekends 40+ miles, occasional WOT runs up to 80 MPH. Car was run for about 15 minutes on the highway before being dropped at dealer who took the sample during an oil change. OLM was at 50% at time of sample. It changes in 10% increments and I think it was probably getting ready to change to 40%. 25,700 miles on car at time of sample.

Unit---Universal Average
Aluminum 24
Chromium 0 0
Iron 6 11
Copper 2 4
Lead 1 0
Tin 0 1
Molybdenum 15 179
Nickle 0 0
Manganese 0 0
Silver 0 0
Titanium 1 3
Potassium 3 2
Boron 9 103
Silicon 4 14
Sodium 294 29
Calcium 1792 1807
Magnesium 118 253
Phosphorus 664 659
Zinc 795 763
Barium 0 1

Unit Should be
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 48.6 46-57
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 6.83 6.0-9.7
Flashpoint in °F 375 >385
Fuel % 0.5 Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.2 TBN 4.3 >1.0
TAN
ISO Code

Blackstone notes:

This is a great first look at your Mazda's 2.5L engine. The universal average column will give you
an idea of what typical wear looks like for this type of engine after about 6,400 miles on the oil. Your run
was slightly shorter and wear metals are accordingly low, so no issues stand out in this data. Note that
sodium is just a harmless oil additive. We did find some fuel dilution, but 0.5% is fine since this amount can
easily come from harmless sources like cold sampling or driving in stop-and-go traffic. The TBN is strong,
showing lots of active additive left. Try 7,000 miles next.

With a TBN of 4.3, I'm guessing this oil could easily do 7500 miles....nice report.

Who needs to spend crazy amounts of money on an oil when you can buy NAPA Syn for cheap and still get excellent results?

Great report. I agree with Blackstone -- aim for 7000-7500 next time.

Last edited:
Very cool and I'll tell you why.

We have a 2012 Mazda3 Touring and a 2016 Mazda3 Sport, both hatchbacks, in the family.
Both bought new. Just did the 2012's oil at home for the first time for the usual warranty reasons. It has 48,600 miles.
The 2016 at 4,800 is due for its first change and I gotta tell you it hurts to have to go to a darn dealership for an oil change.

I thought so too. We have a 2008 Mazda MX5, a 2014 Mazda3S touring hatch, and a 2015 Mazda3i grand touring sedan. I get to use the same oil in all of them so I stock up when it goes on sale. At $2.99 a quart to get these results without having to mess around with rebates is pretty cool. For some reason it seems NAPA marks it down to $3.49 in the spring but $2.99 in the fall. Either way I find it to be quite a deal. I find all three cars fun to drive while still getting fairly good gas mileage.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/g00ber

To be honest I was not expecting results this good given that the NAPA syn is often called synpower light around here. (I've been lurking for a while but didn't have anything to contribute until now.) The add pack looked very similar on the PQI site virgin analysis so I thought I would try it out. I usually try to change the oil before and after winter because the winters are brutal cold and the summers are really hot so I don't know if I'll ever get to that 7000-7500 mile OCI but if I do, I know now I don't have to worry. I'll probably do another UOA in the fall just to see how 0W-20 holds up over the summer with the heat and my "spirited" driving style. After that I'll probably just trust it is working.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Very cool and I'll tell you why.

We have a 2012 Mazda3 Touring and a 2016 Mazda3 Sport, both hatchbacks, in the family.
Both bought new. Just did the 2012's oil at home for the first time for the usual warranty reasons. It has 48,600 miles.
The 2016 at 4,800 is due for its first change and I gotta tell you it hurts to have to go to a darn dealership for an oil change.

Quote:
Molybdenum 15 179

Molybdenum is a wear protector. Is there any concern with this being low? I use Mazda 0w20 w/Moly in my 13 CX-5. My report was taken at 30K miles on the engine with a sample mileage of 5K miles.

Quote:
Mine:
Molybdenum 592 592

Originally Posted By: pbm
With a TBN of 4.3, I'm guessing this oil could easily do 7500 miles....nice report.

+1 - When Blackstone recommends an interval, you know it's safe.

Last edited:
"Molybdenum is a wear protector. Is there any concern with this being low? I use Mazda 0w20 w/Moly in my 13 CX-5. My report was taken at 30K miles on the engine with a sample mileage of 5K miles."

The numbers reflect the fact that the Mazda Moly oil by Idemitsu has a high moly content. The OP changed out the oil which does not use moly or very little of it in its synthetic oil.

If the OP is looking to extend the OCI, I think it's definitely safe to run the oil longer, probably all the way down until the oil change needed light comes on. If it was me, I'd cap it at 20% oil life and call it a day.

I do 3-4K intervals on my 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L but it's modified, dyno tuned for 93 octane and is ran HARD daily. My oil life usually shows 60% at the time of service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back