Metal flakes in oil....normal or doomed? (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil in my Accord every 6 months / 5K miles. This month marked the 6th month with a total of 3500 miles on the oil and 1 year on the filter (changed every other OCI). So today I figured I would look at the drained oil to see if there were any surprises. Sure enough, small shiney metal flakes / sparkles. I cut open the filter to check it out and it did have some very tiny shiney pieces but nothing large. I have never examined my oil and filter this closely before so I have nothing to compare too. Is this normal or is my engine doomed? There are no abnormal noises and it runs great. I drive easy for the most part with an occasional WOT pull onto the interstate.

These pictures make the flakes look larger, they were pretty small and hard to see without direct light.

It looks like this Accord has 46K+ miles on it per your signature. You might expect to see something like that (in the oil and in the filter) on the first oil change after the initial break-in, but not after many miles and many oil changes. I'd keep a close eye on it at the next oil change.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Was you oil drain pan clean before you drained oil into it?
No sir it was not! But that is why I checked out my filter which did have flakes in it also.

Would a UOA show anything going on? Or would that be a waste of money?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Impossible to say. If the oil only has a few large flakes, a UOA will not show it. However, if it's part of an underlying problem that generates both fine particulates and large flakes, it will show up!

I'd perform a UOA, without question.

TRADE IN ALERT!!!!! HIT THE DUMPER LEVER NOW BEFORE IT GRENADES......YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Consider changing the oil in your other car if remotely close to time, and compare. If big difference, you know you have issues . . .

Has anyone seen these type of specs in your oil before? If it's a normal occurrence I wont be as concerned.

That's not normal in the filter. I usually find very few or no tiny shiny specks in a used filter. None I could see in the one I just took off at about 17,500 miles.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Impossible to say. If the oil only has a few large flakes, a UOA will not show it. However, if it's part of an underlying problem that generates both fine particulates and large flakes, it will show up!

I'd perform a UOA, without question.

To what end?

A UOA might not show anything even if there is a specific problem.

If it did show anything, it probably wouldn't allow identification of the location of a specific problem.

And in any case, there's no real point in identifying a problem unless the OP intends to fix it, which would likely involve an engine-out rebuild.

If the OP isn't up for that (which seems likely) his options are live with it (perhaps with thicker oil) or dispose of the car.

I suppose a UOA MIGHT give some clues on the advisability of the disposal option, though there is a bit of an ethical issue there.

I'd doubt its normal.

I get what seems like a lot of fine ferrous metallic slurry in my oil but no flakes.

I don't know if that's normal either but I suppose it could be on a very old car.

The culprit: In your signature the Accord gets 0w20 ...
27.gif

I'd go to 15w50 asap.

Last edited:
A used oil analysis could be helpful if the wear is from dirt you would know to hunt for a leak in the filtration system which is a common cause if un filtered air is getting through

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
The culprit: In your signature the Accord gets 0w20 ...
27.gif

I'd go to 15w50 asap.

Check (maybe an SJ 15w40, more available)

As was posted check the particles with a magnet, that will provide a clue what part of the engine they are coming from. If magnetic its possibly from a camshaft lobe or other valve train component or crank thrust face. Less probable is a broken ring scoring the liner.

If non magnetic its probably aluminum from a rotating assembly making contact with an aluminum part, block or head. Excessive piston skirt contact (breaking the oil film) doesn't usually produce particles this size.

Has anyone seen these type of specs in your oil before? If it's a normal occurrence I wont be as concerned.

I have, the engine grenaded after 20 to 25k miles of hard use (lots of wot and redlines) Subaru Impreza EJ engine. Final damage was that It got a noisy piston rattle when I gave several redlines one day. Engine is waiting repairs yet, but still runs. 5w30 oil in an EJ gives that. Particles wasn't ferromagnetic, though.

But it had 130k miles not 46k

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back