Kroil compared to PB Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Kroil anything like PB Blaster ? I've heard good reviews on Kroil, but I don't like PB Blaster's smell or the way it burns my skin if I get some splashed on me.

Kroil is a lot less harsh for sure. It doesn't really seem like an oil as much as it is a lubricated solvent if that makes sense.

Both are supposed to creep into corrosion and loosen fasteners but I haven't witnessed anything magical from either product. PB Blaster is ok because it's widely available, whereas Kroil seems like mail order for most people.

I usually resort to heat for stuck fasteners and in that case it's hard to say if the penetrating oil was responsible or the heat was.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy Kroil if that's what you're asking.

Having tried both I like Kroil better. With regard to smell, it is hard to describe, not overly strong, but not very nice either. I can't comment about getting it on my skin, I wear gloves and don't recall ever accidentally splashing myself with it.

I sent in a comment to the PB Blaster company and they sent me a case of the stuff for pointing out an error on the label.

I have most of the case left and I am 64.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I sent in a comment to the PB Blaster company and they sent me a case of the stuff for pointing out an error on the label.

I have most of the case left and I am 64.

Yeah it isn't used much, but it is great for lubing up sticky padlocks.

I use both, I've had better results with Kroil.

Quote: "A study done by Machinist's Workshop magazine in their April 2007 issue looked at different penetrating oils to see which one did the best job of removing a rusted bolt by measuring the pounds of torque required to loosen the bolt once treated. If the study was scientifically accurate, it turns out a home brew works best!
Here's the summary of the test results:

Penetrating oil ..... Average load

None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds"

My anecdotal experience reflects the above chart with both the LW and kroil performing heads and tails better than any other penetrany I've personally used. That includes pd blaster.

Haven't tried the atf acetone mix but I do use m1 atf as a general purpose oil frequently and with great results.

Kroil has a buy one get one free offer so you can get two cans for $13.50 plus shipping which isn't too bad.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I can't comment about getting it on my skin, I wear gloves and don't recall ever accidentally splashing myself with it.

I've had it bounce back and hit me in the face while spraying it. Good thing I had my safety glasses on.

The stuff stings like floor wax stripper. I'm thinking if it has that much acid in it, it can't possibly be safe for leaving on metal long term.

I have not used Kroil. The best product I have used for getting loose stuck fasteners is Freeze Off. Works exceptionally well on suspension components.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I can't comment about getting it on my skin, I wear gloves and don't recall ever accidentally splashing myself with it.

I've had it bounce back and hit me in the face while spraying it. Good thing I had my safety glasses on.

The stuff stings like floor wax stripper. I'm thinking if it has that much acid in it, it can't possibly be safe for leaving on metal long term.

I hear ya. I bought a quart of it, which will probably last me a lifetime. I also use if for cleaning powder and carbon fouling from rifle barrels. It works quite well, but must be wiped clean and coated with a good gun oil. I agree I wouldn't leave it on metal for long, or use it to protect metal from rusting.

sea foam "deep creep" is an excellent penetrant and lube. will take a small amount of heat as well..i use it on my throttle and clutch cables on motorcycles in a wide variety of temps so it seems to lube well and last ok. i have never tried kroil, but deep creep is way better than blaster.

Originally Posted By: justintendo
sea foam "deep creep" is an excellent penetrant and lube. will take a small amount of heat as well..i use it on my throttle and clutch cables on motorcycles in a wide variety of temps so it seems to lube well and last ok. i have never tried kroil, but deep creep is way better than blaster.

+1 on deep creep as a cable and linkage lube.

Out here its very expensive so I use pb blaster on rusty parts because its 1/3rd the price and along with a little bit of heat has never let me down.

deep creep works very well as a gun cleaner/lube
Pb blaster works VERY well on electrical connections

Originally Posted By: brave sir robin

Out here its very expensive so I use pb blaster on rusty parts because its 1/3rd the price and along with a little bit of heat has never let me down.

DeOxit by Caig Labs is the go to contact cleaner.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
What does pb do for electrical connections?

It cleans corrosion and leaves an invisible protective film.

I discovered how effective it is when I was going to remove the temperature sending unit on the Buick. Had used contact cleaner and a tiny bit of mass air flow sensor cleaner on it before deciding it needed to be replaced. Sprayed pb blaster on it to make removal easier and then forgot about it while I was doing other work. The next day like magic the dang thing started working like normal. It turned out there was some corrosion between it and the cast iron intake manifold and the pb blaster dissolved and cleaned it up. I have sprayed some on the battery terminals of all three of my vehicles and there hasn't been a sign of any corrosion whatsoever. I now use a little bit on every electrical connection.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: brave sir robin

DeOxit by Caig Labs is the go to contact cleaner.

I do not doubt a purpose built solution would be best but a can of deoxit is a bit of a unitasker and is cost prohibitive for any other purpose. PB blaster is 3.50 at Wal Mart and gets used much more often while working on cars.

The one thing I am possibly concerned about is the chance of it being bad for plastic or rubber though I have yet to see any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back