Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40 for VW/Audi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Quattro Pete stated you can use any oil carrying the 502.00 spec. The grade (viscosity) is not important.

There's no issue using the LM product you mentioned, and Castrol 0W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 at Walmart also carry 502.00 for a tad less money.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
Can't use 0W anything as it's too thin, that is what the guy in the Audi parts department said.

Don't listen to him.

By the way, a Liquy Moly 5w-40 that has the VW 502.00 approval will not be a bad choice.

Last edited:
Can't use 0W anything as it's too thin, that is what the guy in the Audi parts department said.

Simply put, he has no idea what he's talking about.

Here's a fun suggestion. Ask him how it obtains VW 502.00 approval yet is "too thin". Ask him how it is that it's on the Audi approved oil list.

If you want to further make him look silly, ask him what "0W" means.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Here's a fun suggestion. Ask him how it obtains VW 502.00 approval yet is "too thin". Ask him how it is that it's on the Audi approved oil list.

Oil weight requirements are climate based. 0W may be acceptable in Minnesota where -20F mornings are common in the winter and a 5W would make it harder to turn over, but I can understand how it might not give enough protection when starting at 60F.

Oil weight requirements are climate based. 0W may be acceptable in Minnesota where -20F mornings are common in the winter and a 5W would make it harder to turn over, but I can understand how it might not give enough protection when starting at 60F.

No, you don't understand it. That rating would be meaningless at 60 degrees. At that temperature the viscosity is going to be nearly identical between the two oils. The only time they start to deviate is around 0 degrees Fahrenheit and below. And even then it is a small deviation. They have the same "protection" at all temperatures. Neither oil will ever be too thin, and both will always be too thick when cold.

Perhaps I don't, but why do some engines make a lot of lifter noise when started at say 60F, but not so much at say 20F using the same oil? Not because it's thinner at 60F and doesn't cushion the parts like the oil does at lower temperature when it's thicker?

Right, I didn't say oil wasn't thinner at 60 than at 20, it is. But there won't be any difference between the 0W-40 and the 5W-40 at that temperature.

Perhaps I don't, but why do some engines make a lot of lifter noise when started at say 60F, but not so much at say 20F using the same oil? Not because it's thinner at 60F and doesn't cushion the parts like the oil does at lower temperature when it's thicker?

I don't think that situation ever exists. Oil gets thinner the higher the temperature gets. If your engine is making lifter noise at 60F because the oil is too thin, then it's only going to get worse as the engine warms up.

Originally Posted By: Bob570
If your engine is making lifter noise at 60F because the oil is too thin, then it's only going to get worse as the engine warms up.

As the engine warms up, the 0W properties become 40W so not necessarily.

I can't believe you've been a member here for 7 years and believe this khrap.

Originally Posted By: Bob570
If your engine is making lifter noise at 60F because the oil is too thin, then it's only going to get worse as the engine warms up.

As the engine warms up, the 0W properties become 40W so not necessarily.

No, that's not how it works.

His point was that if the oil is supposedly too thin at startup the it'll be even thinner as the engine warms up, and a 5w40 and 0w40 are equally thin at operating temp.

I've owned their products for decades. I have yet to hear of an instance where they voided warranty for using 0w40 if it carried the appropriate VW spec.

But you can certainly use the LM oil if it helps you sleep better. Nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back