2013 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar 50K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, gas chromatography can only see particles under a certain size/weight. Visible flakes would be undetectable in this way.

but there would be smaller particles present aswell if you had wear issues, and these seem to be missing. Does the pentastar always shed that much copper?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Yes, gas chromatography can only see particles under a certain size/weight. Visible flakes would be undetectable in this way.

but there would be smaller particles present aswell if you had wear issues, and these seem to be missing. Does the pentastar always shed that much copper?

I think you mean ICP.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Does the pentastar always shed that much copper?

Yes, they use a copper oil cooler.

OP- I can't speak to what you saw in the oil, but the UOA doesn't look bad.

Large particles don't show up in the UOA, there was a guy here with a blown up 3.8 turbo GN engine, bits and pieces scattered all over the place and yet a UOA of that oil showed little wear.
IIR you particle thread I think Eric is on the right track.

Is the engine knocking or making any odd noises? I have a feeling it is dirt or some foreign matter that fell or blew into the oil when you changed it. Too bad you pitched the filter. If you're still under warranty bring it in to be checked and documented. Odds are w/o any symptoms they'll send you packing. If the engine isn't making an odd noises and is running fine I'd keep on driving. Next OCI do another UOA, use a pristine container to drain the oil into and dissect the filter. Then see what you come up with. You might be worrying about nothing.

Your oil report looks very good to me. Well below the universal averages. What kind of oil were you running?

On your '13 Jeep when you take out the oil filter, is the oil by-pass still there? If not, the oil does not get filtered. I've seen more than one where it was gone.

ROD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back