Honda check oil cold or hot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I am new to Hondas - 06 accord v6. Do I check the oil level when the engine is cold or hot?

I know with the auto trans you check the level with the engine up to operating temp and shut it off - then check the level. Every other car I have had you check it with the engine running.

I do not have the manual.
Thanks
Nick

Always check oil when cold and on a level surface.
If you do want to check it hot,wait at least 15 minutes after you shut off the engine to allow all of the oil to get back in the pan.

Cold 1st thing in the morning sitting in the same overnight spot.

Last edited:
I'm usually LATE leaving for work in the A.M. so I check mine every Friday afternoon when I'm leaving for home. Car will have sat at least nine hours. My home driveway has a grade; the parking lot has a minor to unnoticeable grade - so I get MORE consistent readings at work..

Funny thing this Nissan qr25de doesn't use any oil. None. Actually That's scary!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Cold 1st thing in the morning sitting in the same overnight spot.

+1 I always get a bang on reading this way. My Honda manuals say to check the oil every fuel fill up but whenever I tried that, the dipstick was smeared to [censored] with oil and unreadable.

It doesn't matter. typically the shape of the crankcase and where the dipstick measures oil is such that the oil thermal expansion isn't going to be noticeable. Even if the oil expands it is not going to change the level on the dipstick you shouldn't be basing your actions on it.
if the oil is low or halfway, add oil. don't wait for that extra 1mm from a cold reading to do something different

Last edited:
i check cold, the dealer service manager said that's not how to check oil on a honda..must be a hot engine 1m after shut down were his words..had this conversation with him yesterday because my oil level increases.

For my Honda the owners manual says to wait 3 minutes after shutdown and then check.

Thanks again
smile.gif

Its a different scenario than ATF. The motor oil is not trapped in a case where you need to account for expansion. If you check motor oil hot it will seem low, the opposite of ATF. IMO checking when you get gas may not represent the actual level, so I disagree with that part of manual. Check after an hour, and that goes for any engine on any car. Because up to 1/3 qt of oil is still clinging to engine parts (hopefully) and above filter ADBV shortly after you turn engine off.

Originally Posted By: Bud
For my Honda the owners manual says to wait 3 minutes after shutdown and then check.

I took that 3m as a minimum.

The reason for checking cold or waiting 20-30 minutes after shutdown is to allow oil that is in the head to drain down into the crankcase. That gives you a more accurate reading.

Going by the Honda service guy, that oil must drain down really quick. Anyway I would do it as you were taught when you were young.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
It doesn't matter. typically the shape of the crankcase and where the dipstick measures oil is such that the oil thermal expansion isn't going to be noticeable. Even if the oil expands it is not going to change the level on the dipstick you shouldn't be basing your actions on it.
if the oil is low or halfway, add oil. don't wait for that extra 1mm from a cold reading to do something different

Thermal expansion seems to depend on the car. If I check the oil in my Honda as suggested by the manual (hot engine, wait 3 minutes for drain-down) and the level is right at the full mark, it will be maybe 1/8th inch lower the following morning, which is certainly noticeable.

Honda may insist on the hot/3 minute method to avoid a very-slightly overfilled crankcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back